sump in basement plumbing question

Stephensx04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this question on my build thread but no response there. 1st floor 112 gallon tank. Tank is drilled for 3, 1 inch bulkheads. (actual hole size close to 1.5 but uses a 1 inch pipe). Sump will be in the basement. Total height difference between return pump and tank will be about 9 ft and a total of about 21ft of horizontal run. I plan on using the full siphon method. I bought 2 inch pipe to make the run from the tank to sump. Both returns and drains. Obviously using reducers to change from 2 inch to 1 inch at the bulkheads. Question is 2 inch overkill? In the event the full siphon clogs I want the emergency drain to be able to handle the return pump flow. Or in this case is bigger better?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water do you want to move between sump & tank / hour?

The 3 holes, where are they located? IS one a return?

Full siphon sounds tricky going from 1 to 2 inches I would expect that to handle a lot of flow but I would suspect that keeping the 2 inch pipe full of water to maintain a siphon that didn't pull air into the pipe from the sump end and potentially creating fluxuating water levels in the system.

That aside, the maximum flow rate for 1" drains is ~900 gph according to this thread:

OP
OP
Stephensx04

Stephensx04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water do you want to move between sump & tank / hour?

The 3 holes, where are they located? IS one a return?

Full siphon sounds tricky going from 1 to 2 inches I would expect that to handle a lot of flow but I would suspect that keeping the 2 inch pipe full of water to maintain a siphon that didn't pull air into the pipe from the sump end and potentially creating fluxuating water levels in the system.

That aside, the maximum flow rate for 1" drains is ~900 gph according to this thread:

Thank you good info. Knowing that now Ill return the 2 inch pipe for the drains and replace with 1 inch. Ill leave the return with 2 inch to help with flow restriction on the return side.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1.5" for a similar situation and it works well. What pump are you planning on using?

OP
OP
Stephensx04

Stephensx04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a DCP-20000. Figured it is able to handle the head and I can turn it down if needed. Also figured a powerful pump turned down will use less energy than a pump that is maxed out all the time.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very interested in how you're going to like this pump. Please post once you have a chance to try it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.1%
Back