Sump on the hardwood floor.. suggestions?

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of you saw the 100g sump in my house.. I think it's not good for the floor for the long run. Any suggestion about keep it away from the floor, avoid the moist to build up, and not damage the floor?
something like what can I put under the sump and such..

Thanks guys. :)

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build a small platform, maybe 1 to 1-1/2 inches high with a small lip, and line it with linoleum or some waterproof material. That way the small spills and drips from moving things in an out, skimmer cup, etc is contained, and allows air to circulate underneath the keep the flooring dry too.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Restaurants use rubber floor mats with lots of holes in them but will keep your Sump above the wood floor and let air in to keep moisture at bay, Or eggcrate with rubber pond liner over it.
Bill

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7X24" piece of styrofoam if you are so inclined (I have never known of this being done for this but I know some people that swear by having tanks on things like this for leveling and the like. I have linoleum a little too big then I cut the corners at 45's and then type 1 silicone to form a 1" lip this will get beat down over time but over runs at home depot or Lowes don't cost much. this works well to line the inside of the wood structure that you put the sump on. you can also drill a hole in the corner and then use flex hose or PVC to go out an air vent and then to the underside of the house or some other more desirable place than your hardwood floors if you have a problem which we all do from time to time (hoping you don't)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would never do it again unless you can have an open space beneath the sump so if you have a spill you can dry it out and get a fan on it.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back