Sump Orientation With A Peninsula DT

Djordan719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some searching and didn’t find anything about this. Probably because I’m overthinking this and it’s a unneeded discussion.

My 10’x3’x2’ peninsula tank finally arrived. Along with it came a 6’ sump. The DT has an overflow on one side, 2 returns and 4 drains drilled in the overflow.

Apparently my measurements were incorrect and I won’t be able to use the powerheads I wanted on the overflow side of the tank because the overflow box is too wide. As such I’m making changes to how I planned to move water around the DT. I’m thinking I can change the orientation of the sump so that water drains from the DT to the far side of the sump (the sump is positioned directly below the DT) and that way the return pump will be directly below the return lines and not have to run 6ft back to the tank and have less 90 degree elbows. That should reduce head pressure and thus more flow in the 10’ tank.

I can’t think of any issues with this, however every time I see pictures of setups like mine I see the drain lines from the DT running straight down to the sump and the return pump on the far side. I bet I’m overthinking this and there is no reason not to do it the way I’m planning, however, before I fill this thing up I thought I’d reach out on here and maybe learn from other’s experience. Is there an issue with this I’m overlooking?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presuming that you are running 3 drains and 2 returns I don't think it will matter (make a noticeable difference) as far as head preasure goes on the horizontal runs. All of the plumbing takes up valuable space. I would run the returns on the longer run only because that is one less pipe crossing the longer distance (if that makes any sense) as opposed to running 3 large drains across the same space.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sean Clark makes a valid point about space, but a counter viewpoint is that drains are not pressurized, and returns are. Shorter pvc run with fewer angles means less head pressure and more flow from the returns.

Having said that, I dont think it's going to be a bad thing to do it the way you want, nor do I think it's a bad thing to do it the way Sean Clark is suggesting either.

Personally, if you can shorten the return run, that is the route I would go, but that's just me. And again, I dont think either way is "Wrong".

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presuming that you are running 3 drains and 2 returns I don't think it will matter (make a noticeable difference) as far as head preasure goes on the horizontal runs. All of the plumbing takes up valuable space. I would run the returns on the longer run only because that is one less pipe crossing the longer distance (if that makes any sense) as opposed to running 3 large drains across the same space.

What Sean said if you are worried about headloss upsize the pipe size to minimize friction head loss.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back