Sump plumbing design

Heltyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Which of the following two options do you think is best?

1) Horizontal drain plumbing (90º elbows)
horizontal.jpg

2) Diagonal drain plumbing (45º elbows)
diagonal.jpg

Thank you!!
Greetings!

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 will always be the least restrictive and better for flow. If using 90 and possible use a long radius 90. Either will work though

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back, there was extensive testing of flow rates and pressure trough various pipe diameteres, and specialy 45 vs 90 elbows...

Cant find that article, but i remember, there is virtualy no difference in flow, all is in margin of error.

So if u have place, go with 45, if not, you will not lose anything if u use 90 elbows....

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 looks cleaner. as in, you'll have more sump room.
Totally agree. 90’s look way better. I’m also under the impression that as long as horizontal runs are under 24” you’ll be fine in terms of getting full siphon from the Herbie style. However I do believe the emergency drain is far better off having a direct straight path down to the sump in case it’s needed

OP
OP
Heltyman

Heltyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. 90’s look way better. I’m also under the impression that as long as horizontal runs are under 24” you’ll be fine in terms of getting full siphon from the Herbie style. However I do believe the emergency drain is far better off having a direct straight path down to the sump in case it’s needed
That's what i'm afraid of.
The horizontal line would be longer than 26 inches...
Therefore the 45 elbows would be safer, right?

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what i'm afraid of.
The horizontal line would be longer than 26 inches...
Therefore the 45 elbows would be safer, right?
Would imagine it depends on how much longer you’re talking about, how big the piping is, and how many GPH you plan on putting through it. I’m by no means an expert on plumbing however.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would imagine it depends on how much longer you’re talking about, how big the piping is, and how many GPH you plan on putting through it. I’m by no means an expert on plumbing however.
You can also look into flexible tubing as well…

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, 45 for the E-drain and 90 for the siphon. When I was making my surge filter on my rear compartment I was having a hard time getting that siphon to work. I did a bit of research which led to a few Hydroponics farmers sites that use a bell system siphon system. Using 90's was there way to restrict the flow enough to eliminate air out of the system to start the siphon. I would imagine a 45 might be harder to get the system started because of high flow over a long distance, even if you did use a gate valve. You would have to adjust your flow again after the siphon started. ( close it down to start the siphon/ open back up to get your flow rate)
my 2 cents

OP
OP
Heltyman

Heltyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, 45 for the E-drain and 90 for the siphon. When I was making my surge filter on my rear compartment I was having a hard time getting that siphon to work. I did a bit of research which led to a few Hydroponics farmers sites that use a bell system siphon system. Using 90's was there way to restrict the flow enough to eliminate air out of the system to start the siphon. I would imagine a 45 might be harder to get the system started because of high flow over a long distance, even if you did use a gate valve. You would have to adjust your flow again after the siphon started. ( close it down to start the siphon/ open back up to get your flow rate)
my 2 cents
But why 45 for the E-drain then? If as you say that way is more "difficult" to start the siphon, it wouldnt be more risky?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically with the E-drain you never will start a siphon. Nor do you really want to. When you set up the flow, you want the water level to "just" flow over the top of the E-drain to achieve the quietist results. You would not be able to create a continuous siphon that way. Because of that you want a Non-siphoned flow to run as efficiently as possible (45's) and not create any resistance to may lead to a on and off again siphon flow (noise).
hope this helps

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back