sump plumbing question

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting a lot of help on this project from a lot of users especially smb2415.

I am using the Bean Animal overflow which utilizes holes on the drain side. 1 full syphon 2 trickle back up 3 emergency backup

I am sure many of you have used this overflow before. This is for my 40 Gallon Breeder tank which I will use for cuttlefish. When I do my 72 gallon I will

use 1.5 inch bulkheads however on this I followed the diagrams from the Bean Animal site. In the diagram he uses three 1" bulkheads which is the same

size I used. However he uses a 1" to 1.5" increaser and then uses all 1.5" pipe

I just want to know..Should I use 1.5" pipe or 1" pipe with my 1" bulkhead and why?

I am assuming 1.5" will give more flow but will it be necessary for something as small as a 40 Breeder?

THANK YOU!!!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming 1.5" will give more flow but will it be necessary for something as small as a 40 Breeder?

THANK YOU!!!

No it is not necessary for something as small as a 40 Breeder.

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to remember is Bigger is not automatically better
The size of you pipe should be dictated by your desired return pump.
A 1" ID pipe running at full siphon with a 3 foot drop will handle about 2000 GPH.
A 1.5" pipe running at full siphon with a 3 foot drop will handle about 4500 GPH

Keep in mind elbows and angles will slow this down.

Look at Beans website here Hydraulics for the Aquarist and there is a calculator at the bottom

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I will add is a bigger diameter aids when little snails and such make it into the overflow and eventually down into one of the pipes. You can try your best to stop that with strainer and other screening devises but, sooner or later it will happen. So a bigger diameter aids you by passing the little varmints down into the sump.

For what it's worth, a system like yours will be fine with either 1" or 1.5" you will get higher flow rates as indicated via the Beananimal.com Tank Discharge Rate Calculator with a 1.5" pipe but, I don't feel you need to get hug on the size for this particular setup that you are planing... again, either will be fine in my opinion.

Last edited:

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good but

Consider if you run a mag 5 return pump and assuming you are getting 500GPH into the tank you only need a ½†pipe to run a full siphon

To run a full siphon you need to close the primary using a gate valve to only allow enough water so it is a constant siphon
If you run a 1½†pipe with a small return pump (Mag 5) your gate valve will be open only a very small amount (.100†Less than 1/8) and not allow much in regards to a snail shell through.
If you run the 1†your gate valve will be open a large percentage (.160 less that 3/16â€) and allow a slightly larger items to pass through.

If your concerned about a snail shell passing through your better to run a ½†Pipe wide open than the other two pinched off

At the end of the day this is why the Bean is a better solution as it would require all 3 to be clogged for a flood

Calculations done using Solidworks Section properties

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not disagreeing with you, the size of the return pump is as important as the size of the pipes being used, at the end of the day he will need to do his homework to identify the right size and overflow type. I personally like the "bean" and run it when I can.

Sounds good but

Consider if you run a mag 5 return pump and assuming you are getting 500GPH into the tank you only need a ½” pipe to run a full siphon

To run a full siphon you need to close the primary using a gate valve to only allow enough water so it is a constant siphon
If you run a 1½” pipe with a small return pump (Mag 5) your gate valve will be open only a very small amount (.100” Less than 1/8) and not allow much in regards to a snail shell through.
If you run the 1” your gate valve will be open a large percentage (.160 less that 3/16”) and allow a slightly larger items to pass through.

If your concerned about a snail shell passing through your better to run a ½” Pipe wide open than the other two pinched off

At the end of the day this is why the Bean is a better solution as it would require all 3 to be clogged for a flood

Calculations done using Solidworks Section properties

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna keep it one inch for this, thanks for all of you help guys! So since a lot of the plumbing is based on my pump
and I have yet to purchase a pump, what should I be looking for in a pump? Anything under 2000GPH? I don't want to spend
$200 on a pump when if I can get away with a $50 pump.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna keep it one inch for this, thanks for all of you help guys! So since a lot of the plumbing is based on my pump
and I have yet to purchase a pump, what should I be looking for in a pump? Anything under 2000GPH? I don't want to spend
$200 on a pump when if I can get away with a $50 pump.

Maybe I missed it, what outside of "cuttlefish" will be in the tank?

Have you read this yet:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/feature/

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rule of thumb is net 3-5 times display volume though the sump per hour. On a 40, you are looking at 120 to 200. Figure you'll lose some pump capacity due to head and friction pressure, so I'd see no reason to go beyond a 500gph pump. Don't know if you are going internal or external, but something like a panworld 40 would be ideal.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Sicce for internal setups, super silent and compact, i think BRS has them on sale too... maybe a Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1" bulkheads with a bean animal will handle any reasonable flow you desire for a 40.

My 150 drains into my 40b frag tank with bean animal as he designed it (1" bullheads with 1.5" pipes) and then flows into my sump. My return pump (reeflo hammerhead) is pushing close to 2k gph at 11' of head.

To clarify the bean overflow is on my ft, the DT has 1.5" primary drain and 1" backup durso. The bean is even throttled back.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Sicce for internal setups, super silent and compact, i think BRS has them on sale too... maybe a Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0

I saw that, been a great week for deals on brs. Just ordered my rodi super cheap. If I only need 500 gph I might go with a jebao dc-3000. I've heard a lot of god things about the dc series pumps, and extremely affordable.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back