Sump pump question and flow help

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a thread before and got zero help, so I'm trying again...

I have a 50g cube which is 24x24x20. The return pump is 700gph and I have it slightly restricted, the return outlets are in the shape of a Y and flat, barely below the surface and pointing towards the front corners of the tank.

I'm getting way to much flow bouncing off of the front glass that is blowing back a hammer that is directly in the middle of the tank and my meat corals which are in the front don't like it either. I'm not even using any powerheads at the moment due to this.

I was thinking about putting a mag 5 *500 gph* return pump on it instead of having the 700gph, but would I run in to any issues?

If I put a nano powerhead on each side near the front angled to the back corners could this help counter the flow going to the front? so a Y return pattern facing the front with the powerheads having a X pattern facing the rear.

Thanks.

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert so I may not be much help but can you adjust the angle or is it set in stone? Post a pic as well. Which tank do you have maybe there are others w the same tank who had this issue and solved it

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a MAG 5 would work just fine.....but why not a DC pump that is adjustable. HERE is a Jebao DCT4000 for $62. I think this is the smallest DCT Jebao that they make, but you could easily turn it down to about 50% and be in the ballpark of a MAG 5.

The other option is put in a tee and have multiple exit spots on the return line. I have four that each has the Y LocLine outlet on.

OP
OP
T

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post a picture in a minute.

I feel like no matter which way I angle the returns they will be bouncing off of the front glass and pushing back. This is why I was wondering if I had small power heads on each side countering them if it would help much. I might just move my powerhead *unfortunately I don't have two to fully test it out which is why I have been hesitant.* and see if that helps counter it.

The reason I would do a MAG 5 is because I already have it, I would just need to get a 1/2" adapter for it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll repeat...and this could be for the MAG 5 or 7.....increase the number of exit ports. By doing this it will reduce the flow coming out of any one exit port. As mentioned, I have four exit ports for my tank.

OP
OP
T

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll repeat...and this could be for the MAG 5 or 7.....increase the number of exit ports. By doing this it will reduce the flow coming out of any one exit port. As mentioned, I have four exit ports for my tank.

I hope I don't have to take that route =/

OP
OP
T

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video to give you an idea. I'm kind of hoping I can add two powerheads on the front sides aimed to the corners as I do need some flow back there anyways.

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that doesn't look like to much flow to me. Corals aren't fully retracted and appear healthy. I mean yeah they might not be extended as much as you might want but that should come with time as they adapt to the flow. If anything save yourself the trouble of swapping out pumps and just put a ball valve somewhere in the plumbing after the pump and tune as needed.

OP
OP
T

TomatoSauceTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that doesn't look like to much flow to me. Corals aren't fully retracted and appear healthy. I mean yeah they might not be extended as much as you might want but that should come with time as they adapt to the flow. If anything save yourself the trouble of swapping out pumps and just put a ball valve somewhere in the plumbing after the pump and tune as needed.

It's not the hammers, it's the meat corals on the sand bed. Sand doesn't get blown around or anything either, it's just the meat corals get pushed by the flow hitting the front glass.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your close to the 10x return rate as far as the GPH of the return pump it should be fine. The DC adjustable is the quickest $$ fix.
I use the return flow pretty effectively by hitting it with the powerheads. It creates turbulence where it meets and will slow the blasting down.
Its not very cool nowadays but I use MJ's to hit the wide flow to break it up. Like a finger pointing into the stream of a hose.
good turb, easier to aim, and has a longer reach than Wide PH Krolia etc. Cheap too.

BTW
tank vol + sump vol x desired return rate(10x depending)= pump gph + - head.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with RFBF...if you split the two returns you have now, thus making it in to four outlets, I think you could redirect the flow throughout the tank. If you are absolutely opposed to that, then you might try "bouncing" one or both off the side glass, maybe one pointing higher and one pointing lower. Play around with it and see if you can get it where you want it. Just a suggestion.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%

Back