Sump & Skimmer suggestion

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, looking for some suggestions as first time having a sump and skimmer.
About to set up a Red Sea 250 and have a chance to get a great deal on an Eshopps Rs-100 sump.

My cabinet height is only around 25” high so aside from the sump space I also have to take that into consideration.
Anyone familiar with the Aquamaxx WS-1 sump skimmer? On their web says light bioload for 65 gallons. anyone feel this is ok or not powerful enough? Looking to do some lps and also SPS. Curious to people experience or opinions on the sump and or skimmer?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all, looking for some suggestions as first time having a sump and skimmer.
About to set up a Red Sea 250 and have a chance to get a great deal on an Eshopps Rs-100 sump.

My cabinet height is only around 25” high so aside from the sump space I also have to take that into consideration.
Anyone familiar with the Aquamaxx WS-1 sump skimmer? On their web says light bioload for 65 gallons. anyone feel this is ok or not powerful enough? Looking to do some lps and also SPS. Curious to people experience or opinions on the sump and or skimmer?

I have not used that brand of skimmers - I have primarily used #reefoctopus skimmers and plan to by another one within the month for another system that I am currently setting up. The good news is that the Aquamaxx WS-1 uses a Sicce pump which is a reliable product. On the other hand, I personally wouldn't select a skimmer rated at 30g-65g for a 65g tank.

The Eshopps RS 100 sump has a solid, straight forward design with a 7" filter sock location. The only potential downside is that it only has a single intake.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the Tunze 9410 dc or non dc. I have both. One is on a 45 frag system with 40 breeder sump. They are very over looked when it comes to skimmers. You turn them on and they skim. My dc on my 120 is so stable I almost forget its there. Empty cup once a week and thats it.
The 45 frag tank is new and the non dc works just as well.
20190918_190555.jpg
20191109_085808.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tunze more than I was ready to pay for but I’ll still get it as will just cycle and run without a skimmer until I save up for it down the road. I see some great reviews on it and looks like it would fit in the eshopps sump as that space is 8x11.5 and the tunze footprint is 9.8 x 7.

Glad I asked and thank you for the great feedback.

OP
OP
M

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it took a while but finally got the tunze 9420DC.

Really impressed so far, but it’s only been up about 5 minutes so far, lol. Quiet, very easy to adjust and fits great!! Thank you 90’s Reefer for this suggestion as so far very happy and it’s already foaming at right height nicely and I like the added filter bag for running some carbon.

Hopefully will give me years of service and worth saving up for it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back