Sump temperature help

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sump runs into the wall behind my tank which is a part of the house that is over a garage. The temperature fluctuates quite a bit in the sump which I believe is why I can’t grow Chaeto. Is there any products that are insulating products for tanks? Or any other suggestions?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sump runs into the wall behind my tank which is a part of the house that is over a garage. The temperature fluctuates quite a bit in the sump which I believe is why I can’t grow Chaeto. Is there any products that are insulating products for tanks? Or any other suggestions?
Is the room always hot or just the floor?

OP
OP
Reefn34

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the room always hot or just the floor?
The room always changes. When it’s colder outside it gets colder, when it’s warm it gets hotter. The room makes the sump fluctuate temperature all day every day

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The room always changes. When it’s colder outside it gets colder, when it’s warm it gets hotter. The room makes the sump fluctuate temperature all day every day
Since sumps are open tops, i would not suggest trying to insulate it unless conductive heat is being generated from the floor.

I would either look into ventilating this room better, possibly with a small exhaust fan you would find in a greenhouse, insulating your garage door, or insulating the subfloor (last resort).

I would try to insulate the garage door panels first as the actual remedy vs a bandaid :cool:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand the chaeto connection.

Does the tank water temp get too hot? Does the sump water get unusually hot, or just the air?

The chaeto is underwater. Is the flow between tank and sump very low?

OP
OP
Reefn34

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand the chaeto connection.

Does the tank water temp get too hot? Does the sump water get unusually hot, or just the air?

The chaeto is underwater. Is the flow between tank and sump very low?
The sump temperature fluctuates between 6-7 degrees daily as it gets colder/hotter so there’s no consistent conditions that are allowing the chaeto to be happy and grow

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of with @Randy Holmes-Farley on this one. If you have decent flow through the sump, the temp should stay right around the same temp as the DT even if the temp in the space the sump is located is driving temp up. If the temp can rise 7 degrees in the sump, you'd see a corresponding rise in DT temp. Not being argumentative, just trying to wrap my brain around the issue. Am I missing something?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump temperature fluctuates between 6-7 degrees daily as it gets colder/hotter so there’s no consistent conditions that are allowing the chaeto to be happy and grow
Would need to insulate the area more. That's too large of a temp swing. If your sump is that hot, so is the display.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree with above if you have decent flow between sump and DT, they should be running consistant temp. if the sump room rises so will dt, if it falls so will dt

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all and all it sounds like he should insulate the garage and get a reputable temp controller on those heaters like a ranco.
I run 2 rancos. One for each heater.

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since sumps are open tops, i would not suggest trying to insulate it unless conductive heat is being generated from the floor.

I would either look into ventilating this room better, possibly with a small exhaust fan you would find in a greenhouse, insulating your garage door, or insulating the subfloor (last resort).

I would try to insulate the garage door panels first as the actual remedy vs a bandaid :cool:
I was going to suggest insulating the sump entirely and other areas of the garage that are drawing in a lot of heat. Even if the heat isn't being generated from the floor, why do you think it's best not the insulate the sump? My suggestion was to add insulating foam below the sump, all four sides, and as much as possible up top.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest insulating the sump entirely and other areas of the garage that are drawing in a lot of heat. Even if the heat isn't being generated from the floor, why do you think it's best not the insulate the sump? My suggestion was to add insulating foam below the sump, all four sides, and as much as possible up top.
I was just thinking fix the source vs bandaid and path of least resistance.

I would hate to put insulation foam under my sump after completing the custom colored plumbing job i did....lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back