Sumps

H2O_ALL_TIME_LOW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m setting up a 75g tank with a 40g sump but I don’t know what to put in the sump. I will have a heavy sock so I’m going to put in a Eshops X-120 protein skimmer. My question is what should I use for mechanical and bio filtration.

P.S. I have a large budget for this.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use filter sock and there no need for biological filtration because that’s what your rocks do but the marine pure block is always good to have for any emergency.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Define "Large budget";)
Really the live rock in the display will do the heavy lifting for biological filtration. A good skimmer is really all you need beyond the filter sock you said you already have. There isn't a ton more you really need. The oossibpo exception being powerheads for flow within the tank itself.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40B is an excellent sump size. Plenty of room for three sections....filter sock/skimmer, refugium, and return section. The refugium can be "stocked" with something like chaeto (chaetomorphia algae). Helps exporting nitrates and phosphates.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would having a GFO and Carbon reactor be enough to export the phosphates? and thus not needing chaeto? im just asking from a cost standpoint. I already have the reactors, but having chaeto would mean getting a quality refugium light to get the best out of it, correct? im not saying that its not a possibility in the future, but for now? I'm not thread jacking im just trying to learn more about what is going on with this stuff since i'm working on the same combo (75g/40g)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back