Sumter Reefers??

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am looking for other reefers in my area. I am a newbie in the salty domain, but have been in the freshwater arena for 20+ years. I have finally gotten my husband into the hobby as well and we are both overly excited to learn how the saltwater world works, but are ridiculously nervous! Looking forward to getting to know those that are close, and have new friends with similar interests we can also learn from!! We currently have 17 freshwater tanks (I breed shrimp but have a few fish heavy tanks too) and just the one bare naked saltwater (for now!).

We'd love to start getting to know people in the area and possibly get together this summer for a big bbq/potluck for fishy/reefy fun! I have a big ole backyard and am willing to host! Who is interested?!?! (don't have to be from Sumter either, everyone is welcome!!)

CarlH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all. I’m from Hartsville.
My tank is about 5 months old. I’ve got a 4 fish, hermit crabs, snails, shrimp, and a couple of Zoas. I’ve been most successful growing hair algae.
I’d be interested in developing some local reefing friends for info sharing, frag trading (eventually) or get togethers.
Any interest in doing something after the first of the year?

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved here in January, last year, Florence. Just getting ready to start a new build. Tried to locate a local reef store. Not a lot around here. Don't mind driving, just want to find a decent store. Suggestions always welcome. I've been in the hobby a long time..be safe...

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved here in January, last year, Florence. Just getting ready to start a new build. Tried to locate a local reef store. Not a lot around here. Don't mind driving, just want to find a decent store. Suggestions always welcome. I've been in the hobby a long time..be safe...
Florence is kind of dry for LFS unless you want to go to one of the chain stores notorious for sick fish. I have two MUCH better suggestions tho.

Jamrock Corals in Longs. Take the highway 22 bypass around Conway to highway 90 and he's right there. Brian is a great guy and he'll take care of you. If you don't feel like the drive, he's got $15 in state next day shipping on WYSIWYG corals online.

Fishy Business on Bush River rd in Irmo. Guy has been in business for a LONG time, they have an absolutely HUGE store. It's actually the biggest LFS in South Carolina. I'm personal friends with several of the staff there and they are all great aquarists.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florence is kind of dry for LFS unless you want to go to one of the chain stores notorious for sick fish. I have two MUCH better suggestions tho.

Jamrock Corals in Longs. Take the highway 22 bypass around Conway to highway 90 and he's right there. Brian is a great guy and he'll take care of you. If you don't feel like the drive, he's got $15 in state next day shipping on WYSIWYG corals online.

Fishy Business on Bush River rd in Irmo. Guy has been in business for a LONG time, they have an absolutely HUGE store. It's actually the biggest LFS in South Carolina. I'm personal friends with several of the staff there and they are all great aquarists.
Looks like Fishy Biz will be my first stop…I don’t buy much from chain stores, prefer to give my money to a local place…

thanks

OP
OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I am late to respond guys. We have had a lot of chaos happening in our lives since I've made my last posts. Anyway, with summer fast approaching, We have been thinking more of a fishy get together. I think it would be fun and hope all of you do too!
Also, I would like to ask if there is anyone who would like to help teach me about saltwater tanks, to include coming to check out my system to make sure everything is set up correctly. I have been a freshwater keeper for over 20 years, but saltwater, not once. The Gent who owned a store here, which closed no thanks to our buddy Covid, has moved an hour away to work for another store (Fishy Biz of course!) he was supposed to be my in-house support as I started this adventure, but life is what it is, so I need someone who can help me understand a second hand set-up from the ground up, because I don't know what most of the stuff is for, or how to use it/set it up. Also to help diagnose some issues in my tank (like why I cannot get the red algae -I think?) that keeps coming back no matter what I try.
I just need help or I am going to have to sell this set up before I kill a bunch of creatures that don't deserve to die. For me, reading about things doesn't work as well for me as hands on learning, which is why I am asking for the help before it gets too dire.

Thanks! Hope we can make a get-together happen!
Alli

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I am late to respond guys. We have had a lot of chaos happening in our lives since I've made my last posts. Anyway, with summer fast approaching, We have been thinking more of a fishy get together. I think it would be fun and hope all of you do too!
Also, I would like to ask if there is anyone who would like to help teach me about saltwater tanks, to include coming to check out my system to make sure everything is set up correctly. I have been a freshwater keeper for over 20 years, but saltwater, not once. The Gent who owned a store here, which closed no thanks to our buddy Covid, has moved an hour away to work for another store (Fishy Biz of course!) he was supposed to be my in-house support as I started this adventure, but life is what it is, so I need someone who can help me understand a second hand set-up from the ground up, because I don't know what most of the stuff is for, or how to use it/set it up. Also to help diagnose some issues in my tank (like why I cannot get the red algae -I think?) that keeps coming back no matter what I try.
I just need help or I am going to have to sell this set up before I kill a bunch of creatures that don't deserve to die. For me, reading about things doesn't work as well for me as hands on learning, which is why I am asking for the help before it gets too dire.

Thanks! Hope we can make a get-together happen!
Alli
Hi Alli. Richard is indeed working at Fishy Business now. Hate he had to close his shop but glad he landed on his feet. Fishy Business has a service and maintenance team that can come out and help you if you want to go that route.

Also if you'd like you can PM me, I'd be happy to help you with some solutions over the interwebs.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As needed, please reach out. I have been keeping salt tanks since the 80's. Now starting reef 3, since moving to SC. Thinking smaller, IM 30 maybe, although I would like to have a sump. I kept all my high end equipment so I should only need a tank and stand. Just finished the move into the new house, so hopefully soon now. Good luck...

OP
OP
AlliRose907

AlliRose907

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Alli. Richard is indeed working at Fishy Business now. Hate he had to close his shop but glad he landed on his feet. Fishy Business has a service and maintenance team that can come out and help you if you want to go that route.

Also if you'd like you can PM me, I'd be happy to help you with some solutions over the interwebs.
I was going to hire fishy for that very reason and they suggested Richard. Problem is, he doesn't get over this way much anymore so I was going to see if there were some local reefers that could help out before I kill something else... (I've killed so much already) My God the cost!!! Financially and their poor little lives!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back