Sunburst Anthias Disappeared

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added a Sunburst Anthias 15 days ago to be exact. The second day it came out of the rock and took a few bites of the brine shrimp and went back to hiding. The yellow tang and lawn blenny started to harass it. I have not seen it the last 10 days. It has not eaten anything since the second day (14 days without food). I have tried to look for it everywhere but no sign of the anthias. I could not believe that Sunburst is such a shy fish.

Has it starved to death? Have I made a mistake for not using the acclimation box?

The tank is 120G, it has a yellow tang, lawn blenny, two fire fishes, royal grammar. Thanks

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first few days one of my lyretail anthias hid out under a rock ledge, so I couldn't initially find it. When they get hungry they usually make an appearance. I wouldn't lose hope yet.

RTB12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost 4 Sunburst Anthias. The same thing happened to mine. They appeared the second day. After that, no sign of them. The last one, I kept in an acclimation box for a week to get it used to being in an aquarium. It still disappeared after 2 days. Frankly, the only Anthias I have luck keeping for any length are Lyretails, Randall's and Carberry. But Sunburst, Dispar, Evansi, Purple Queen and even Tiger Queens just don't live long in my tank.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with 4, presently have 2 that have nicely survived for 2 years. They are definitely more delicate than say my tangs. They as you probably know enjoy rocks and caves to hide in and really don’t interact with other fish. Picking the right fish at the right time is definitely an important thing. If he shows back up, keep an on him and see who may be aggressive towards it. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with 4, presently have 2 that have nicely survived for 2 years. They are definitely more delicate than say my tangs. They as you probably know enjoy rocks and caves to hide in and really don’t interact with other fish. Picking the right fish at the right time is definitely an important thing. If he shows back up, keep an on him and see who may be aggressive towards it. Good luck.
My sunburst never showed up. It has been more than 2 months. I presume it is dead. I think it is the Yellow Tang/Lawn mower blenny harassed it too much and decided to starve to death.

I just picked up sunburst from a LFS, larger from the last one. It was beaten up badly at the LfS, some of fins are half missing. I got a deal for it. It is in the DT now, it is eating well but it is quite aggressive and chasing other fishes when they come near his rock. I thought it is supposed to be a peaceful fish.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised if many are still being collected with cyanide, or at least from deeper water where decompression issues are common with deepwater fish. Beautiful fish but since they’re not being captive bred yet I hesitate to try them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back