OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last December and January I lost several corals to brown jelly syndrome, and my green slimer was in bad shape. I ended up cutting off the most damaged branches and hoped to save what was left.

I'm happy to report it has rebounded nicely! I love this frag:

1660995736_ScreenShot2019-04-14at10_30_28AM.png.8e1ac6d32195a7e3753af4cac9d1e1d4.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised when UPS delivered my trident this afternoon! I wasn't expecting it until Monday.

Setup was really simple, with step by step videos to walk you through it.

IMG_6304.jpg

Yes, they include a Trident Unicorn sticker in the box:
IMG_6305.jpg

IMG_6306.jpg

There was a little leakage of Reagent C during shipping, but everything else looks OK.
IMG_6308.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

Also included is a bottle of calibration fluid, a 1Link cable, and the sample & waste tubing along with a clip.
IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

Here is a shot of the inner mechanisms. I haven't seen this posted anywhere before.
IMG_6315.jpg

IMG_6320.jpg

When attaching the tops to the reagent bottles, be careful because the assembly can come apart easily:
IMG_6319.jpg

Connections on the back are very simple. If you don't have an available 1Link port, you can optionally use an AquaBus cable and power adapter.
IMG_6318.jpg

The tubing is very thin:
IMG_6316.jpg

All set, and ready to test!
IMG_6322.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 3.29.33 PM.png

The only problem I see so far is that the R2D2 sounds the Trident makes seems to be freaking out my dog. It's not loud, but it is a bit of a high-pitched swooping sound and it startles him each time. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(duplicate)

spifftempo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised when UPS delivered my trident this afternoon! I wasn't expecting it until Monday.

The only problem I see so far is that the R2D2 sounds the Trident makes seems to be freaking out my dog. It's not loud, but it is a bit of a high-pitched swooping sound and it startles him each time. :)

Yes! My dog is not a fan of the Trident at all- at least initially. She eventually got over it after a while...

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the Trident has been installed for nearly 24 hours, I have some data to post. The initial readings are lower than my manual test kits show, but I've read this is normal and will be corrected after calibration. Neptune recommends waiting 48 to 72 hours after installation before calibration, so I'll probably wait until Monday to calibrate it. They also recommend waiting 7 - 10 days before configuring it to integrate with the DOS for automated dosing adjustment, so I'll probably take that step next weekend.

Here is the Trident tile on my dashboard:

My manual test kits currently read:

Alk = 8.4
CA = 410
MG = 1350

Each time you click the tile, it cycles through additional information. The first click shows measurement graphs:

The next click shows reagent levels:

The 3rd click shows the waste container level:

You can configure the Trident for automatic testing or manual testing:

The scheduling options are pretty limited. You can select between 4, 6, 8, 12, or 24 tests per day. It automatically assigns the time of day for each test:

The Trident configuration page is pretty straight forward:

If you click on the measurement graphs shown above, it gives you more detail:

Here's a short video of the Trident while testing. You can hear the R2D2-like robot sounds that are freaking out my dog. Hopefully he gets used to it.

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thread, thank you for all the updates and details.

(another duplicate)
For some reason every time I create a post the site hangs, so I click Post again and then get two copies of the same content.

Just open a separate private window and refresh the page to see if the post went through before you hit post again if it's a regular occurrence.

BigMo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a short video of the Trident while testing. You can hear the R2D2-like robot sounds that are freaking out my dog. Hopefully he gets used to it.

Can you not put the Trident in your garage? next to your DOS, I’m sure your dog will appreciate that [emoji6] just a thought [emoji848]

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you not put the Trident in your garage? next to your DOS, I’m sure your dog will appreciate that [emoji6] just a thought [emoji848]

Unfortunately the Trident must be within about 4 feet of the tank since the sample tubing is 5 feet long and cannot be extended.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my eye on this Space Invader Pectinia at my LFS for about a week, and today I couldn't resist picking it up.

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 3.34.55 PM.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to post these photos from last weekend. My LFS, Cuttlefish & Corals, held a Cinco de Mayo party with raffles, group buys, and lots of $10 frags. I came away with 7 new frags and won an AI Hydra 26 HD light fixture in a raffle!

Rainbow Acan 3-pack group buy:

$10 frags:

Birdsnest

Rainbow Stylo

Montipora Spongodes

Mystic Sunset Montipora

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just kicked off the Trident calibration process. The on-screen instructions are simple to follow, and the calibration takes about an hour. My next scheduled water test is at noon, so I'll be curious to see if the numbers are closer to my manual test kits.

Here's the process:

2314D218-351D-4D92-AD75-E7EAE18FD5D7.jpeg.d5a14f994d74ed54c29e06786372a0e2.jpeg

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing journal. I am in the planning stages of a Reefer 350, which will be my first reef build. Love what you have done with the hard plumbing and plan to do something similar when the I finally start the build(electrician coming this week to install a couple of 20 amp GFCI circuits). One of my mayor concerns is what to do when on vacation or away from home. How simple/difficult was to teach your house sitter the proper maintenance? How deep did you go? I like the idea of a manual with checklists and emergency procedures.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing journal. I am in the planning stages of a Reefer 350, which will be my first reef build. Love what you have done with the hard plumbing and plan to do something similar when the I finally start the build(electrician coming this week to install a couple of 20 amp GFCI circuits). One of my mayor concerns is what to do when on vacation or away from home. How simple/difficult was to teach your house sitter the proper maintenance? How deep did you go? I like the idea of a manual with checklists and emergency procedures.

Thanks for following along! I still haven't completed my full "user guide", but attached below is the document I wrote up for my tank sitter with the basic instructions and alert troubleshooting steps, with my personal info stripped out. This should be a good starting point for you.

Good luck with your Reefer 350!

Attachments

• Aquarium Instructions Template.pdf
    825.7 KB · Views: 256
OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the calibration go? Your readings match the manual testing?

After calibration my Trident readings are still lower than my manual test kits. Trident says my Alk is 7.8, but Hanna says it's 8.3, so a 0.5 dKH difference. I tested the leftover Trident calibration solution (labeled 8.4 dKH on the bottle) and the Hanna measured it as 8.9, so now I'm thinking my Hanna has been off by 0.5 this whole time. I might take a sample to my LFS to get another opinion.

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following along! I still haven't completed my full "user guide", but attached below is the document I wrote up for my tank sitter with the basic instructions and alert troubleshooting steps, with my personal info stripped out. This should be a good starting point for you.

Good luck with your Reefer 350!

Wow!! These instructions are amazing. Thanks for sharing!!!
This may be a noob question, but I see in your instructions that you rely in your LFS for emergency response while you are away. Is that common practice or you just have a fantastic relationship with your LFS?

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! These instructions are amazing. Thanks for sharing!!!
This may be a noob question, but I see in your instructions that you rely in your LFS for emergency response while you are away. Is that common practice or you just have a fantastic relationship with your LFS?

I don't know how common that practice is. My LFS (Cuttlefish & Corals in Portland, OR) is a great shop and I do have a good relationship with them. In addition, they are a sponsor of the local aquarium club that I'm a member of (PNWMAS) and they are very active in the community. Back in January when I was losing a bunch of corals to brown jelly syndrome, the LFS owner made a house call to look things over and provided great advice, free of charge. So yes, I'd say I have a fantastic relationship with my LFS!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my eye on this beautiful lobo at my LFS for quite a while. I had to bring it home today!

It's still a little angry from being dipped, but it's puffing up nicely.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 4.34.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 4.35.16 PM.png

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a time lapse video for the first hour it was in my tank.

(video shot on iPhone with orange filter, so the colors aren't quite accurate)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back