Sunrise Dottyback temperament/experiences?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m curious if anyone has experience with the sunrise dottyback. I’ve looked online and not much has been shared about people’s experience with them.
I upgraded my tank to a Innovative Marine 50 gallon INT tank. So it’s about 30” x 24”

My main question is how aggressive are they? Will they just set up a burrow and just defend that territory? If so that’s fine.
Also do they come out more once they’re established? Or do they hide most of the time.

I have seen two sunrise dottys at petco, and they’re pretty well priced. So Im tempted to get one.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise to proceed with caution. Individual temperament will always trump a species reputation but Pseudochromis species are generally pretty bad tempered towards conspecifics. SOmetimes they can be pretty aggressive towards any other fish as well. Like any other addition, fish should be watched for aggression or stereotypy behavior and step taken to alleviate the problems including rehoming.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise to proceed with caution. Individual temperament will always trump a species reputation but Pseudochromis species are generally pretty bad tempered towards conspecifics. SOmetimes they can be pretty aggressive towards any other fish as well. Like any other addition, fish should be watched for aggression or stereotypy behavior and step taken to alleviate the problems including rehoming.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. You’re right. Any fish, really, can be aggressive. It all depends.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have a Splendid Dottyback and if it’s anything like in temperament, which is likely, proceed with caution unless you have semi aggressive tank mates. It was a bit of a terror in the 30 I had previously, lots easier to manage in the 60 I have now.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have a Splendid Dottyback and if it’s anything like in temperament, which is likely, proceed with caution unless you have semi aggressive tank mates. It was a bit of a terror in the 30 I had previously, lots easier to manage in the 60 I have now.
Oh wow, yeah I’ve heard splendids are on the more aggressive side when it comes to dottybacks. Especially if peaceful fish are added after. Splendids do look amazing though. I guess most dottybacks look great though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, I’m curious if anyone has experience with the sunrise dottyback. I’ve looked online and not much has been shared about people’s experience with them.
I upgraded my tank to a Innovative Marine 50 gallon INT tank. So it’s about 30” x 24”

My main question is how aggressive are they? Will they just set up a burrow and just defend that territory? If so that’s fine.
Also do they come out more once they’re established? Or do they hide most of the time.

I have seen two sunrise dottys at petco, and they’re pretty well priced. So Im tempted to get one.
I find many dottybacks to be territorial, intimidating and yet pretty. Make it the last addition to tank if nothing else

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I kept three indigo dottybacks from juvenile through entire lives together in my 210g. They would lay eggs and lived peacefully as a trio. These were obviously captive bred as they are a hybrid. Very pretty, very peaceful with all other fish.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between 5 and 7 years. Cannot remember exactly. They were long in the tooth shall we say and all three passed over the course of about 4 months or so.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back