Sunset monti

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My monti has only been in for 24 hrs. It's under a 165w led black box. The blue channel is set at 45% and the white,red and green is 30%. Does that seem ok? I have a biocube 32 and it sits on the upper 1/3rd of tank dead center. This is my first sps. The light is about 6" from top and the monti is 6 to 7" under water. Thanks for any help.

20190111_173720.jpg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you acclimate it and how did you do it if you did? It looks like it’s starting to bleach. When you bought the Monti frag, what kind of lighting was it under? You may want to cut down the white, red and green lighting and see what happens.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Without being familiar with that specific light it's hard to give more than generalizations, but I would turn up the blue channel considerably, turn down the red and green considerably, maybe leave the white where it is or decrease it slightly. However if you already have other corals that seem happy with your current lighting then you may want to make any increases gradually, over a period of weeks. (Decreases can be done more quickly.)

OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dripped acclimated it for a 1 hr. Unsure of exact lights but they were a lot higher off the water then mine and they were not LEDs but tubes. I just turned down the white channel to 20%. Should I let it be? Move it down some? Thanks

OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks rkpetersen!! I have the viparspectra 165w 2 channel. I have some zoas on the bottom and a green bta mid way up and off to the side also 24hrs in.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start off with very little of the red, green and white light. Then gradually increase those colors slowly maybe every other day. Your corals will let you know if they are stressed or not by your lighting scheme.
Remember that lighting only represents part of the equation towards promoting a healthy, successful and beautiful aquarium. Make sure your doing water changes, checking water parameters and running adequate water flow to that particular type of coral or invert.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off. I have no clue about your light, nor have I ever used one. But if you like the blues at 45 percent. I would do the following. JMO

The blue channel is set at 45%
white 20%
red and green is 5%.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it lower in the tank
By the way I just picked up the same thing ( sunset montipora) it’s orange with yellow polyps . It doesn’t look like that at all , yours looks purple with no polyps.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it lower in the tank
By the way I just picked up the same thing ( sunset montipora) it’s orange with yellow polyps . It doesn’t look like that at all , yours looks purple with no polyps.
I also got 1 about a month ago.
It looks just like the OP's, red with blue/purple polyps. His polyps are just not out but you can see when they are clearly.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystic sunset montipora grew very well and very fast. Looks like it is recieving to much light or needs to acclimate to the light.
Agreed. My Mystic sunset grows like a weed, just let it acclimate to your light, you can help it by turning it down a little bit :)

OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what to do now. I lowered the white,red and green channel to 10% and put it on the bottom last night. Today its pink flesh is slowly peeling away in the current. It's most shaded with very low flow. I thinks it's done. Thanks for all the replys!!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move it off to the side vs lower the channels. I had a black box for a short while and the main issue is it has a hot spot right in the middle. If you placed the coral in the middle of the tank it may be too high there but just fine on the edges. 45% blue and 30% white for a black box should be fine for most of the tank

(Mine was a sbreef 16”)

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it lower in the tank

Mystic sunset is red body with blue polyps (almost a reverse Superman) sunset is orange with green polyps and starburst is orange with yellow polyps but it is a Capricornis not encrusting (unless there is an encrusting version of starburst as well

OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies it has lost all of its pink color but a small patch. I put it off to the side on bottom that was somewhat shaded. Not sure what happened but I'm a little afraid of getting any more SPS. No nitrates/ammonia. Ph 8.2, Calc 480, Sal 1.025, 78*F.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies it has lost all of its pink color but a small patch. I put it off to the side on bottom that was somewhat shaded. Not sure what happened but I'm a little afraid of getting any more SPS. No nitrates/ammonia. Ph 8.2, Calc 480, Sal 1.025, 78*F.
I will always start my sps at the bottom of the tank in the sand for a few days regardless where it was in the tank it came from. Sorry to hear the loss maybe there is a chance.

Back