Super Cheap Amazon Ozone, legit?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a member of a program called Amazon Vine where I can request free Amazon items to review. This popped up as an available item today and I'm wondering if it is safe to try on my AIO 20 cube. Is it possible for a device in this price range to safely make ozone? If it won't kill my tank, I figured I'd give it a try because it's free and I need to meet a certain quota to stay in the program.
FEDOUR 265GPH Aquarium Air Pump, Smart Aquarium Ozone Generator, Fish Tank Ozone Machine, Quiet Oxygen Pump with All Accessories for Fish Tanks, Turtle Tanks, Ponds, Hydroponics, Aquaculture https://a.co/d/84HL25T

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it really does make 150mg/hr of ozone that's alot for a 20g tank. I have run 150/200/300mg hr ozonizers of 125-400g tanks for over 30 years.

I wouldn't risk a non-controllable 'imported' item like that without something controlling it which monitors ORP. In 20g of water 150mg of ozone could burn the fish in a short period of time.

While some of these dirt cheap ozonizers can be effective for aquarium use. I have found that their lifespan is about 6-8 months.

Now granted you can buy alot of sub $100 ozonizers before meeting the cost or a true aquarium ozonizer. But the reliability and longevity is more important to me. I have used the cheapos in a pinch or when waiting for parts. But they are really disposable short term pieces of equipment in my opinion.

Dave B

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
must be a great product, they nailed the user base
1694626749814.png

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My motto for both my professional life(medicine) and reef keeping is:
Always learn from other’s mistakes, so you will not make your own.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it really does make 150mg/hr of ozone that's alot for a 20g tank. I have run 150/200/300mg hr ozonizers of 125-400g tanks for over 30 years.

I wouldn't risk a non-controllable 'imported' item like that without something controlling it which monitors ORP. In 20g of water 150mg of ozone could burn the fish in a short period of time.

While some of these dirt cheap ozonizers can be effective for aquarium use. I have found that their lifespan is about 6-8 months.

Now granted you can buy alot of sub $100 ozonizers before meeting the cost or a true aquarium ozonizer. But the reliability and longevity is more important to me. I have used the cheapos in a pinch or when waiting for parts. But they are really disposable short term pieces of equipment in my opinion.

Dave B
It can be set to produce less ozone so that is not a huge concern of mine. 150mg is the maximum but it can be set lowet. I also don't plan on using it long term unless I really see a difference before versus after. I really just need to get something that I can review to stay in the program.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You make it sound like there isn't a slew of other products you can review so you're forced to review this product contrary to recommendations of other posters.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a very limited number of products actually worth reviewing for silver members, and if you review items that are too similar the subsequent reviews won't count, which I found out the hard way by reviewing different models of the same brand of plant grow light. It's also next day delivery and since I'm behind I need something I can get quick since reviews take a while to get approved and I'm already at the point where I could lose my status. So yeah, there is not a slew of other products available to me at this time.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using a $50 one off Amazon for the last week or so. ORP ranges from 410-430. Water is clearer than ever.

1 hour a day when I remember.

Attachments

• IMG_9214.jpg
    IMG_9214.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9220.jpg
    IMG_9220.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 75

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a similar one in the past. It does produce ozone in somewhat controllable amounts.

1. The "plate" inside tends to foul up fairly quickly (a few weeks at most) even with a dryer, It requires monthly maintenance to keep it running in top-shape.

2. Without a controller of some sort, you're sort of playing with fire. I had mine connected to an Apex outlet set to turn off once ORP rose above 400.

3. Not running the effluent stream over carbon is likely going to leave some residuals behind which may have a detrimental impact on tank health.

Overall, I did not feel the juice was worth the squeeze. Changing out carbon is just too easy to do, and doesn't run the risk of tank/personal health impacts. And with 2x Neptune Sky's over my 40b, I'm hardly at a point where maximizing water clarity for the sake of coral health is much of a concern.

billydv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new here to the forum but I wanted to chime in here since I've been using ozone forever lol. There are cheap ozone generators, Amazon, ebay etc. You CANNOT use Ozone safely without some type of controller. I once used one of those cheaper ozone generators that typically dont have dials- this was on a quarantine 55 gallon. I figured what could happen, how effective could it be. Next day 3 fish were sterilized dead lol. The only safe way to use ozone in my experience is with an orp controller set to a specific redox potential, 350-375. It's pretty easy to find aquarium type ozone generators used. In any event, if the ozone generator doesn't have a dial, it's really not usable for us in this hobby. I've always found that best practice is to start at a low setting and slowly increase over a few days until you can maintain desired orp by having the ozone generator running appropriately 75% of the time

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to update and say that I did request the product because I needed to get something, but I haven't used it and basically wrote all the concerns that were brought up in the review. It just recently showed up so I kinda forgot about it until now. Thanks for all the responses!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back