Support brace emergency

Void760

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon 48x18" tank that i bought second hand from someone. While bringing it home, the whole top shattered but the support brace in the middle just cracked badly. I removed the old glass and got a piece made the same size. Ive tried 100% silicone, gorilla glue, crazy glue, and this marine hold glue but nothing seems to be holding. Yes, i leave it on for at least 72 hours. Yes, i use a bar clamp to hold it in place, Yes, the surface is clean, yes the replacement glas is an exact fit. Nothing is working.

My tank is in its cycling phase now but it has 5 damsels and a starfish in it noe so i dont want to disturb it too much. Currently the bar clamp is what is holding it.

What can be done or is it someone in san diego area who can come and fix this???

roro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d call your local glass shop and ask them for help/advice. I bet they can give you some good direction...

thegrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clean the glass with acetone? You need to use a quality structural silicone like Momentive RTV or GE SCS1200. For a structural joint you need to wait at least two weeks before putting it under stress.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back