Surface skimming with durso pipe

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed a durso pipe a while ago and extremely happy with that noise wise. However, something I didn't think about it the lack of surface skimming. My homemade food creates quite the nasty film on the water surface and currently the only way to remove it is letting it run in the emergency pipe.

Any ideas how to solve this? I have a 1000 gallon gph powerhead at constant flow pointed at the surface, but I still get nasty buildups after a few days. The stuff that's hanging around in the overflow chamber is even nastier.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the durso in that way that there alway is a very small amount of water going in the emergency pipe.

Sincerely Lasse
I'd rather not, since I installed my emergency drain in such a way that I'll hear the water fall in the sump. Could I drill a few holes in the downward elbow at water level? Or will that create just a bunch of noise?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I drill a few holes in the downward elbow at water level? Or will that create just a bunch of noise?
There is a huge risk it will do.

Why do you not extend the emergency pipe to end below the surface of the sump?

Thats´s the construction of my emergency pipe.

1612985921515.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a huge risk it will do.

Why do you not extend the emergency pipe to end below the surface of the sump?

Thats´s the construction of my emergency pipe.

1612985921515.png

Sincerely Lasse
The way I currently set it up simply is because I ran out of pvc tubing and it's a pain to get anything from the hardware store at the moment. I also thought it'd help me notice if the main drain would be clogged, but I don't even need the noise to know that :p

Would 1 or 2 small holes in the emergency drain at water level be enough for skimming the surface? I'm guessing that way I'll have the least amount of noise coming from it.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would 1 or 2 small holes in the emergency drain at water level be enough for skimming the surface? I'm guessing that way I'll have the least amount of noise coming from it.
Could be a solution and a second thought - maybe some small holes in the durso could be a silent solution if they are nearly exactly in the surface, small and could be sealed back again if it does not work the way you want (silent)

Can you take a photo of your solution - maybe more ideas can be made

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a solution and a second thought - maybe some small holes in the durso could be a silent solution if they are nearly exactly in the surface, small and could be sealed back again if it does not work the way you want (silent)

Can you take a photo of your solution - maybe more ideas can be made

Sincerely Lasse
Drilled a few holes in the durso. Zero noise and all the surface nasties are gone :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back