Surge protector for RKL or Aquacontroller?

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering... how many of you have your RKL or other controller plugged into wall vs. surge protector? Would you recommend it to protect the components or does the PC4 serve this function and therefore the surge protector is a waste of $?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine plugged into a UPS so that I can automatically have it turn off the non-critical components (basically everything except power heads) and have it run as long as possible on backup.

CJ

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine plugged into a UPS so that I can automatically have it turn off the non-critical components (basically everything except power heads) and have it run as long as possible on backup.

CJ

+1 Apex secondary power plugged into non-UPS outlet so it can sense and alert via email and text of power failure.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CJ

How di you program your controller to do that? Sounds like an thing that I didn't realize controllers could do.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Apex secondary power plugged into non-UPS outlet so it can sense and alert via email and text of power failure.

yeah but if there is a power failure wont you loose power at your modem also or do you have another UPS for that?

OP
OP
PR_Reefers

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys for the info....

btw I don't have the net module.. I was just thinking about this bc I've witnessed several voltage spikes or quick interruptions in my apt recently... so I was wondering if this could harm my equipment...?

so what ups would you recommend anyways?

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys for the info....

btw I don't have the net module.. I was just thinking about this bc I've witnessed several voltage spikes or quick interruptions in my apt recently... so I was wondering if this could harm my equipment...?

so what ups would you recommend anyways?

In our area, voltage drops are a big concern. While we lose power a couple times a year, we encounter "brown-outs" weekly. The UPS provides constant power in those events. I use an APC Smart UPS 1400 which provides about an hour of power for the pumps and heaters and (hopefully) enough time to get the generator on line if required. The MP-40s, have their own battery.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back