Surprise!!

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this morning when I woke up I turned a flashlight on my tank, as I always do, to make sure there isn't anything lurking around in the dark. I see a patch of shiny things (SHINY!!) Near one of my corals. Thought it was just a group of amphipods at first until I looked closer, baby clownfish!!! Roughly 15-20 of them that I can see, I wasn't even aware that my pair had spawned. What makes me sad is I am not prepared to attempt to raise them and I don't know anybody near me that will take them. What are the chances of any surviving left alone in my reef tank without rotifers? My guess is slim to none but I figured why not get it from the horse's mouth. Attached is a picture of my pair, old picture (from May) but the best I have.

Attachments

• 20130531_200005.jpg
    20130531_200005.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 372
OP
OP
Usatennisfan

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still plenty of them this morning, I'm surprised the bristleworms or fireshrimp have not gotten to them.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

Midway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without rotifers, no chance. If you wanna raise the next clutch, take them out to their own tank. When a breeding pair gets moved, its a gamble, some will keep breeding like nothing happened, others will take their time to start laying again and others just stop breeding period.

OP
OP
Usatennisfan

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the time or space to set up anything to try to raise the fry. I asked a friend if he wanted them next time they spawn but he already has 3 pairs spawning. I think I might put something up on my local forum to see if anybody wants them. I really hope they do t stop come august since my lease is up and I'll be moving. My other pair is starting to show signs of wanting to breed soon. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

OP
OP
Usatennisfan

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! So I picked up frozen rotifers on Friday and have left the fry in my display and am target feeding twice daily. I still don't have high hopes for their long term survival but since we are now a week out from hatching (I assume) but I am encouraged. Since I don't have a separate tank to put them in, would it be better to put them in a hang on net breeder?

OP
OP
Usatennisfan

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is hopeful news. Did it look like they were eating?
I can't tell if they are eating or not because I spot feed them then turn the light back off, otherwise they stay hidden in their little cave. I assume they are eating since they are still alive...

OP
OP
Usatennisfan

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I separate them into a hang on net breeder? I'm a little worried that when they get bigger my clowns will pick them off just due too aggression.

OP
OP
Usatennisfan

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, now that these guys have gotten bigger I decided to move them to a net breeder instead of leaving them in the display and risk them getting eaten. Whilst moving them, upon closer inspection they look like shrimp to me, or as my fiancée says "baby Gustavos!!!!" (She calls my fire shrimp Gustavos) Any tips on rearing these guys?

Attachments

• 20131222_085130.jpg
    20131222_085130.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 214
  • 20131222_085116.jpg
    20131222_085116.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
OP
OP
Usatennisfan

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Anybody successfully raise ornamental shrimp and have any tips for me? I put them in a hang on net breeder and most of them escaped...

Worldwide reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I bred neocardinia and cardinia shrimp for freshwater. I bred numerous specious and raised them till adult. So not top sure if i can help. But as far as food source most small inverts live on decaying matter and the biofilm that is present upon them. The biofilm is a bacterial film that is a natural part of the decaying process. In freshwater wed us Indian almond leaf and have it in the tank fot a week and itd begin to form the film.

As far as a holding container if you can move them to there own tank (acclimate of course) and assure that there tank has EXACT parameters. And try the best. Not to sure if i answered anything though so lemme know! Best of luck!

OP
OP
Usatennisfan

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move them to their own tank but I just don't have the space. They all scurry about and if anything I see more of them in more places everyday. They are so spread out now that I can't really spot feed them unless I got the whole tank and I really don't want to do that everyday since it is an sps system...

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back