Surskit's First Reef!

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo! I started my tank a few months ago but never really documented it, so I figured I'd post it here. It's a 20 gallon, I'd love to upgrade when I can but at the moment I just don't have enough space for a big upgrade to be super possible, but I could probably eventually grow to something like a 30-40 gallon. At the moment I'm running a filter by Aqueon, I forget the exact name but it's rated for my tank size, and I modified it so I could use my own filter sponges instead of the normal cartridges. It's more maintenance and cleaning but I prefer that over having to buy new cartridges every month. For lights I have a current marine orbit that I got secondhand for a really nice deal, I had some issues at first but I figured out how to solve them and now it runs like a dream. As far as powerheads go, mine's just a cheapo one from petco (I don't have a job, so money is pretty tight and I have to settle sometimes) but I think that it'll be one of the very first things that I upgrade about my setup.

I also started my tank on some really not great advice, that led to a lot of problems in the earlier stages. The big ones being that 1: I was told live rock really wasn't necessary- upon seeing the price of live rock- I decided to just not look more into it and go with cheap rocks. 2: I was told that RoDi water was optional, and that dechlorinated tap water would be fine. I think that that advice may work well for a simple fish only setup, but even without me adding any corals yet the tank's been messy as a result. I've had a massive problem with cyano, which only recently got better as I switched out about half of my rocks for live rock and started using RoDi water instead of my dechlorinated tap water. It's still pretty gross now, but it's getting better fast and that's giving me a lot of hope for the future.

As far as livestock goes, I think my setup is pretty beginner, but with a few stranger picks that I think give it some character, though if I upgrade my tank size I'd definitely go stranger. I have two clownfish (I believe they're Ocellaris but I got them so long ago I can't really remember), a Red Firefish, a Yellow Watchman Goby, a Tiger Pistol Shrimp, a Tiger Conch, a Purple Short Spine Pincushion Urchin, and an assortment of craps and snails that serve as clean up crew. As far as extra inhabitants to add, I'm really about done. I want to possible add a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and maybe some form of small Blenny, but I think my tank is pretty packed as is and I'd rather save that money on getting corals once I get my tank cleaned up. As for coral plans, I really have two that I'm pretty set on, but I structured my tank to allow for three. I'm pretty dead set that I want a big Zoa Colony at this certain spot quite close to the front of my tank. And I also really want to get some form of Toadstool Leather (preferably one with longer tentacles, but I'm not fully sure). For the last spot I'm really not sure. I might try and get some form of small LPS after I get comfortable with the softies, but if I'm not as confident I might end up going for a more interesting softie, like a Green Kenya Tree or maybe even a Bounce Mushroom.

I believe that's all that I have to say, but if you have any questions about my setup please feel free to ask!

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ended up catching COVID and falling back on my tank maintenance. Finally getting back to do the water change today but it looks like the firefish couldn't take it and passed away :(

I'm gonna look for something to replace it, probably something pretty oddball, but I'm gonna wait at least a little bit I think. I got a big check from someone and I'm gonna mostly use it to finally buy new water test equipment, as I'd run out and hadn't been able to afford replacements, that will hopefully help me more clearly narrow down the cause of the cyano. Pictures when I get to the water change today!

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ended up catching COVID and falling back on my tank maintenance. Finally getting back to do the water change today but it looks like the firefish couldn't take it and passed away :(

I'm gonna look for something to replace it, probably something pretty oddball, but I'm gonna wait at least a little bit I think. I got a big check from someone and I'm gonna mostly use it to finally buy new water test equipment, as I'd run out and hadn't been able to afford replacements, that will hopefully help me more clearly narrow down the cause of the cyano. Pictures when I get to the water change today!
cyano is normal in a new tank, I would just wait it out and keep up on water changes.

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First update with images! Apologies for the low quality, still trying to learn how to photograph a tank. After I got covid tested negative and had no symptoms for 24 hours, I went out to my LFS and got a new Fire Fish, as well as a Tail Spot Blenny. I also went to Petco and got a water test kit (I obviously support local businesses when able, but I'm operating on a tight budget and the test kit was on a big sale). Just the normal saltwater master test kit for now, but my parameters seemed pretty good! 8.0 PH, 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite, and 5 ppm nitrate. I obviously know that 0 ppm nitrate should be the goal, but I am glad to have it down that low, as during the last time I was able to test my water it was up to 20 ppm. Definitely a big improvement, now I'm really just waiting out this cyano and hopefully getting a little more stable in the meantime. I also changed my rock scape a little bit since my last coral plan. I moved my rocks a very good deal closer, because I want to attempt to get GSP to grow over the back glass and want to reduce the risk of it spreading to my rocks. Definitely gonna start with zoas when the cyano clears up, though.
1644890850872.png
1644890860396.png

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I should say that if you are going to keep softies like gsp then you don’t want zero nitrates, as they need some to grow!

5ppm is on the lower side for softies, but should be pretty good.
Oh! Thank you so much, I didn't know that! I'll keep that in mind in the future.

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out a pretty big problem in how I'm running my tank, I was running the lights way too long. I had then turning on at 10 AM and turning off at 1 AM, now that I know this isn't good I've changed to them turning on at noon and turning off at 10 PM. I also think that just cosmetically I might shift to running the lights a good bit bluer than I was before. I just think the blue looks a little better.

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are still looking solid! I did a water test and change today and that went well. The test results were wimilar, Ph was up from 8.0 to 8.2, and nitrates were up from 5-10, but I think that slightly higher nitrates isn't a bad thing because- as was said earlier in the thread by AnotherReefHobbyist- the higher nitrates would be a good thing for the softies I wanna start growing!

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I actually did this but I forgot to post in the moment lol, last time I did a big waterchange I decided to change up my rockscape! i like this one a lot more, it's got a lot more verticality and the caves in the middle are pretty cool to look inside of. also, the urchin had been doing pretty bad (dropped a huge amount of spines that didn't seem like they were coming back for a few months) but i looked at them this week and it's starting to get better! tons of new spines!

Attachments

• IMG_20220226_201456558.jpg
    IMG_20220226_201456558.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 46

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I actually did this but I forgot to post in the moment lol, last time I did a big waterchange I decided to change up my rockscape! i like this one a lot more, it's got a lot more verticality and the caves in the middle are pretty cool to look inside of. also, the urchin had been doing pretty bad (dropped a huge amount of spines that didn't seem like they were coming back for a few months) but i looked at them this week and it's starting to get better! tons of new spines!
I have always been scared to try an urchin just for the fear that it would drop spines all over my tank!

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been scared to try an urchin just for the fear that it would drop spines all over my tank!
Yeah, there is definitely a lot of spines in the tank, but it's not too bad. Most of them just get sucked up when I gravel vac. Put I really really love urchins lol, I didn't even doubt for a second that I'd get one.

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't say that the cyano has faded, it's really slowed down, and basically doesn't appear at all in the high flow parts of my tank anymore. With that I think I'm ready to get my first corals, at least in those high flow areas. With that I was curious what corals/similar things you'd recommend in a higher flow part of my tank. I'd generally prefer to stick with softies, but I'm not opposed to some LPS. I think i'm pretty confident that I don't want any SPS though, at least not quite yet.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can't say that the cyano has faded, it's really slowed down, and basically doesn't appear at all in the high flow parts of my tank anymore. With that I think I'm ready to get my first corals, at least in those high flow areas. With that I was curious what corals/similar things you'd recommend in a higher flow part of my tank. I'd generally prefer to stick with softies, but I'm not opposed to some LPS. I think i'm pretty confident that I don't want any SPS though, at least not quite yet.
My reccomendations are what they are for a few reasons:

1. hardy
2. lower light requirements ( you don't have a super strong light )
3. Thrive in high flow ( you mentioned that you would like to add them to the high flow areas )

I know they are very basic and common, but I am going to go with GSP and Pulsing Xenia, I would of course recommend doing them on a separate island so they don't take over the tank, but with that in mind I think they will be great first coral!

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I am going to go with GSP and Pulsing Xenia
I was def thinking of them! My main thing is just that I don't want to change my rockscape, so I couldn't exactly get them on a separate island rn lol. I'm thinking I may actually go with a Kenya Tree as it doesn't seem like something I'd need to keep isolated and from what I've read it seems to be pretty alright with lower light and higher flow.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was def thinking of them! My main thing is just that I don't want to change my rockscape, so I couldn't exactly get them on a separate island rn lol. I'm thinking I may actually go with a Kenya Tree as it doesn't seem like something I'd need to keep isolated and from what I've read it seems to be pretty alright with lower light and higher flow.
That would also be a great first coral! They deffinitly seem to be a bit less invasive.

OP
OP
Surskit

Surskit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a little bit more looking (as well as looking at what local reefers are selling in my area) I think I might go with a nepthia instead of a kenya tree. I prefer the look and they seem even less likely to spread all over like a weed.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back