Suspected ich in tank

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm pretty certain my hippo tang has gotten ich, she's got the spilled salt white spots on one side of her body. I ordered some seachem paragaurd to treat her, I don't have corals or invertebrate could I just treat the whole display tank if I remove my carbon filtration? Thanks for any advice

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite any Seachem claims, their Paraguard isn't a good saltwater ich remedy. It's malachite green.

Copper in a QT is the standard treatment. Hyposalinity in your display would work, since you don't have inverts.
+1
Pics would help to confirm ich, but as mentioned copper in a qt tank is the ideal choice, followed by a 60 day fallow period.
I would second hypo as being a good treatment in a FOWLR.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Pics would help to confirm ich, but as mentioned copper in a qt tank is the ideal choice, followed by a 60 day fallow period.
I would second hypo as being a good treatment in a FOWLR.
I will get pics when I'm home from work, I'm upgrading from a 125 to 312 gallon tank in a couple months so quarantine for all the fish maybe would be the best thing, should I try a dip with the seachem before I put them in the fresh tank? Just to give them possible relief until I get the copper? Is copper stressful to them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get pics when I'm home from work, I'm upgrading from a 125 to 312 gallon tank in a couple months so quarantine for all the fish maybe would be the best thing, should I try a dip with the seachem before I put them in the fresh tank? Just to give them possible relief until I get the copper? Is copper stressful to them?

+1 on not using Paraguard, it is an adlehyde and malachite green, those chemicals just don't work will in marine systems.

As said, hyposalinity or copper would be your best bet, but copper can absorb into coral sand and rock, making it unfit for use later on if you want to get invertebrates.

Here is a post about hyposalinity:

Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is less stressful on the fish than ich is. There’s no point to using the paraguard as it is ineffective against marine diseases.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put copper in your display tank. You may not have invertebrates or corals now but if you ever need a cuc down the road and your rocks are leaching copper it won’t work

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on not using Paraguard, it is an adlehyde and malachite green, those chemicals just don't work will in marine systems.

As said, hyposalinity or copper would be your best bet, but copper can absorb into coral sand and rock, making it unfit for use later on if you want to get invertebrates.

Here is a post about hyposalinity:

Jay
I can't get a picture of her she won't come out from behind the intake for the filter I have, it's normal for her to hang out back there. She did eat when I came home she just wouldn't stop moving so I couldn't get a clear picture, I was able to see the white spots are gone and there is what looks like lesions on her one side where the spots were this morning. She's eating and seems to be moving normally, the spots were there for the first time this morning

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a water change right now nitrates are a little high, I'm just waiting for RODI water to get made. The other fish seems fine I have a Huma, royal gramma, sailfin tang, two clowns, a foxface and a blue spot puffer. All are around 3 inches I'm guessing I can't keep all them in a qt tank for 2 months? There's no aggression in the tank now but there's a lot of live rock

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not put copper in your display tank. You may not have invertebrates or corals now but if you ever need a cuc down the road and your rocks are leaching copper it won’t work
I definitely won't use copper in the display, I'm inclined to either just treat my dory in a qt tank with the copper or treat the whole tank with the seachem for the recommended 18 days since I've already bought it and it doesn't seem like it would hurt my tank. I don't think I am experienced enough to try the hyposalinity after reading what's involved. should I just set up the qt tank and put the dory in there with copper or wait and see if the white spots come back and do it then? I'm not able to provide a large enough qt tank for all the fish at once unfortunately.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't the stress of all those fish being together in a small qt tank kill them anyway?

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will try lowering the salinity if it's what you guys think is the best chance, just to be sure it is Ich I will get a short video of her when she comes to eat in the morning

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230324_094341693.jpg

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there's even a spot on her eye, from the pictures I've seen online it looks like it is ich

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there's even a spot on her eye, from the pictures I've seen online it looks like it is ich

See how the spot near the tail seems pretty large and it comes to a point and has diffuse edges? That looks more like a mucus plug that an ich trophont. Hepatus tangs are prone to this. It could be the focus on the picture making it look like that, but if it looks like that in person, your tang may not have ich. What you should do is take a picture from the same angle tomorrow and then Sunday. If the same spots are in the same location, or if they go away and don't return, it is unlikely to be ich.

Ich will show as tiny white spots, the size of a grain of salt, that come and go over time, changing location.

You should still probably prepare to treat this fish - mucus spots and ich can show on a fish at the same time, but I think you need to do a little more diagnosing before running a full treatment on all of the fish (certainly other fish getting spots is more a symptom of ich).

Here is a copy of an article I wrote on skin mucus:

Jay

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See how the spot near the tail seems pretty large and it comes to a point and has diffuse edges? That looks more like a mucus plug that an ich trophont. Hepatus tangs are prone to this. It could be the focus on the picture making it look like that, but if it looks like that in person, your tang may not have ich. What you should do is take a picture from the same angle tomorrow and then Sunday. If the same spots are in the same location, or if they go away and don't return, it is unlikely to be ich.

Ich will show as tiny white spots, the size of a grain of salt, that come and go over time, changing location.

You should still probably prepare to treat this fish - mucus spots and ich can show on a fish at the same time, but I think you need to do a little more diagnosing before running a full treatment on all of the fish (certainly other fish getting spots is more a symptom of ich).

Here is a copy of an article I wrote on skin mucus:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back