Swapping from Kalk to Sodium Hydroxide

  • Thread starter Thread starter .Haliax.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

.Haliax.

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2021
Messages
390
Reaction score
137
Location
South Alabama
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm preparing to make the change from dosing kalkwasser to dosing Randy's DIY recipe.
How can I determine a safe starting point in regards to mL per day of sodium hydroxide?
I'm currently dosing 4076mL of fully saturated kalk per day in a 125g system.
 
Why switch?.. just supplement with 2 part?
I am looking to switch because my kalk stirrer has been very inconsistent and not properly mixing. I have limited room so cannot keep a big tub of lime water near my tank. I would go with strictly 2 part if it increased pH
 
Use the calculator linked above figure out what you are added daily the use info from Randy's recipe to figure out how much you need to match the same.
 
I calculated for someone rise today that the alk part of the two part is about 45 times more potent than saturated kalkwasser.
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley what is your take on sodium hydroxide and all for reef? I doses about 10ml’s/day at night. But I’m thinking I shouldve stopped the A4R during the night. I’m trying to get my pH up to that 8.3 mark. Can’t get past 8.1 with just a recirculating CO2 scrubber.
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley what is your take on sodium hydroxide and all for reef? I doses about 10ml’s/day at night. But I’m thinking I shouldve stopped the A4R during the night. I’m trying to get my pH up to that 8.3 mark. Can’t get past 8.1 with just a recirculating CO2 scrubber.

There’s nothing wrong with using the combination, but I also likely would not continue AFR if you are going to use a diy two part using sodium hydroxide.
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley what is your take on sodium hydroxide and all for reef? I doses about 10ml’s/day at night. But I’m thinking I shouldve stopped the A4R during the night. I’m trying to get my pH up to that 8.3 mark. Can’t get past 8.1 with just a recirculating
There’s nothing wrong with using the combination, but I also likely would not continue AFR if you are going to use a diy two part using sodium hydroxide.
that will probably be the plan. A4R is so easy and the corals seem to like it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new