Swapping over tanks, what order?

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning reefers, In the next week or so I plan to swap over tanks, smaller to larger of course! I started with a 10g which is fairly well established now, but I am upgrading to the Red Sea Max Nano, my plan is to Remove a much sand from the existing tank and place into the new and add more as necessary, fill with some of the water from the old and replenish both with RO as necessary, a bottle of Dr Tims in the new and wait for the tank to settle and come up to temp. Once the tank is at temp, move the fish over, there's only 3 and allow the tank to cycle. My old tank has some mixed small beginner corals, which will swap over when the new tank is a little more settled, so in essence I will be running the two tank simultaneously, my question is should I leave the light on the old tank for the corals, I'm sure the fish will be fine for a couple of weeks with no light, or would you say swapping corals over straight away is ok. Corals are GSP, Gold head torch, some zoas, pulsing zenia and a few mushrooms. Thanks

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way i would do it is to do the move in on occasion and use as much as possible of the old water. See it as a + 50% WC in your old tank. However - clean the sand in order to get rid of the sand's content of organic material. Start the "new" aquarium as you manage the old, but feed sparsely the first weeks. I wrote "new" aquarium because - the only thing that is new if you move in one occasion is the container and around 50% of the water :). The cleaning of the sand is to get rid of organic waste - not your bacteria. Hence - no "deep" cleaning.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Goodersgold

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way i would do it is to do the move in on occasion and use as much as possible of the old water. See it as a + 50% WC in your old tank. However - clean the sand in order to get rid of the sand's content of organic material. Start the "new" aquarium as you manage the old, but feed sparsely the first weeks. I wrote "new" aquarium because - the only thing that is new if you move in one occasion is the container and around 50% of the water :). The cleaning of the sand is to get rid of organic waste - not your bacteria. Hence - no "deep" cleaning.

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks Lasse, clean the sand in a rinse of RO?. If I remove 50% water from the old, into the new, top this up with fresh RO for the corals?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back