Switched to a potent light and my mushroom coral shrivelled up

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting has been off for 5 hours but the mushroom is not fully closing and looks weird (turned the light on for a few seconds to snap a picture)

A61C053E-1853-4309-A268-F0A826791E70.jpeg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes they just do that
some days they do that in the morning
some days they do that in the evening
some days it's all day
some days it's half the polyps in the tank
some days it's 1 or 2 next to normal ones
some weeks it's none of them

I don't know why they randomly shrivel up, but you can rest assured they'll pick up and walk if they don't like their spot.

OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes they just do that
some days they do that in the morning
some days they do that in the evening
some days it's all day
some days it's half the polyps in the tank
some days it's 1 or 2 next to normal ones
some weeks it's none of them

I don't know why they randomly shrivel up, but you can rest assured they'll pick up and walk if they don't like their spot.
oh thank you! i didn’t know they could do that

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't like or need high lighting intensity or also strong flow. One thing is mushroom's react to things very quickly. So if you did something different it would be the cause> Just today mine were all closed up. The reason? My skimmer overflowed a bit into the tank glad I pay attention

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms expand more and look nicer in lower lights. This is because they need to fluff up to catch more light.

It now is getting hit with more light so the reaction is to shrink down.

You can Acclimate it by dimming the lights and slowly increasing over a week or so… or move it to the sand bed then slowly move it to where you want it.

It will probably always look best under lower lighted area if the tank though.

OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't like or need high lighting intensity or also strong flow. One thing is mushroom's react to things very quickly. So if you did something different it would be the cause> Just today mine were all closed up. The reason? My skimmer overflowed a bit into the tank glad I pay attention
thanks! i got a way more potent light so that was the cause. at least it’s an easy fix

OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms expand more and look nicer in lower lights. This is because they need to fluff up to catch more light.

It now is getting hit with more light so the reaction is to shrink down.

You can Acclimate it by dimming the lights and slowly increasing over a week or so… or move it to the sand bed then slowly move it to where you want it.

It will probably always look best under lower lighted area if the tank though.
thank you! i noticed a very small mushroom started to grow on a rock on the opposite side of the thank. since it grew there alone, should i maybe move all of them there?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! i noticed a very small mushroom started to grow on a rock on the opposite side of the thank. since it grew there alone, should i maybe move all of them there?
Unless you plan to move the rocks the shrooms are attached to, no. They are anemone-like in that they have a 'foot' and as others have said, can move if they want to. But if you try to remove one from a rock, you will likely injure or kill it, and if you DO succeed, it can be very hard to get them to "stick" yo another rock. You can't glue them and they often drift off somewhere else.

culvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. High lighting probably caused it. I didn’t read all the other replies but please consider a slow acclimation with the new light. I know it’s tempting to see how awesome that light is that you paid for but I wouldn’t risk forgoing a lighting acclimation and losing livestock. Good luck.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shroom act like flowers. when they are in low light, they tend to stretch out to get the light they need. they also tend to react to things very quickly, so if you put them in a light htat is too much for them, it wouldnt surprise me that they reacted like this. put it in a slightly shadowed area to see what it does, if you can

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is on a frag plug it’s probably easy to
Move to a lower light area. They can move themselves a bit too. Though they don’t tend to walk like a nem as much… sometimes they just detach themselves and float to somewhere new.

OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you plan to move the rocks the shrooms are attached to, no. They are anemone-like in that they have a 'foot' and as others have said, can move if they want to. But if you try to remove one from a rock, you will likely injure or kill it, and if you DO succeed, it can be very hard to get them to "stick" yo another rock. You can't glue them and they often drift off somewhere else.
thank you!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%

Back