Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto , thanks for the response. I am beginning to think that GHL will be some time before being in a position to ditching their Windows software. I wish they would publish a roadmap!

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto i have been holding out on setting my KH Director until I see you postings on the fail safes..... How is it working for you.?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Buddah001 all my failsafes are working now and I am going to begin posting them tonight :)

As for the KH director it is a great unit it keeping my Alk between 7.2 and 7.1 without any issues.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerbar 5.1 Fail Safe

GHL has the ability to set the Initial State options on outlets in the event they loose communication to the P4.

For Me the Following Switch Outlets are going to be left On, overriding any program that on the outlets in the event the P4 looses communication. It is important to note that by default switch outlets will turned off if they loose connection to the P4, no programming required :)

For me it is the following outlets will be turned on in the event the P4 looses communication to the Powerbars:
Outlet 1 -Blue Return
Outlet 2 - Skimmer
Outlet 6 - Chiller
Outlet 7- Media Reactor
Outlet 10 - Sump Heater (Make sure your heater has a it own thermostat and should be set only 1-2 degrees higher then the overall tank temperature) (Test your heater first by setting the outlet to Always on, to make sure the temperature of the tank is correct)
Outlet 14 - Tank heater (Make sure your heater has a it own thermostat and should be set only 1-2 degrees higher then the overall tank temperature) (Test your heater first by setting the outlet to Always on, to make sure the temperature of the tank is correct)

Configure Initial State:

Open up GCC Desktop Software
Click on the System Menu Option
Select the Power Bar with the Outlets you want to configure Fail Safe On :
faile_safe1.png

Click Configuration (This is where you would have initially configure your outlet numbers)
faile_safe2.png

Click the Check Box for Initial State for each outlet you want to remain on even after it looses connection to the P4
faile_safe3.png

Click Ok and your all done :) Very Easy, and Painless

One Quick Hint:
First go into your Switch Channels and Outlets and Right down the Outlet Numbers you want to override on in the event of power. It makes it easier when your looking at the power Bar.
faile_safe4.png

When the Apex loosing connection to a power bar you configure the Fallback option to determine the state of the outlet. You need to go to each outlet you wish configure to behave and place a Fallback on (Outlet will remain on if it loosed communication to the Apex) or Fallback Off(Outlet power downs when it looses connection to the Apex). Depending on Control Type you use you may be given a menu option to for Fallback. If the Outlet your programming is set to a Control Type of Advanced you can add Fallback on or Fallback off option can be placed into the code.
Apex_menu.png
apex_menu2.png

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerbar 5.1 Fail Safe

GHL has the ability to set the Initial State options on outlets in the event they loose communication to the P4.

For Me the Following Switch Outlets are going to be left On, overriding any program that on the outlets in the event the P4 looses communication. It is important to note that by default switch outlets will turned off if they loose connection to the P4, no programming required :)

For me it is the following outlets will be turned on in the event the P4 looses communication to the Powerbars:
Outlet 1 -Blue Return
Outlet 2 - Skimmer
Outlet 6 - Chiller
Outlet 7- Media Reactor
Outlet 10 - Sump Heater (Make sure your heater has a it own thermostat and should be set only 1-2 degrees higher then the overall tank temperature) (Test your heater first by setting the outlet to Always on, to make sure the temperature of the tank is correct)
Outlet 14 - Tank heater (Make sure your heater has a it own thermostat and should be set only 1-2 degrees higher then the overall tank temperature) (Test your heater first by setting the outlet to Always on, to make sure the temperature of the tank is correct)

Configure Initial State:

Open up GCC Desktop Software
Click on the System Menu Option
Select the Power Bar with the Outlets you want to configure Fail Safe On :
faile_safe1.png

Click Configuration (This is where you would have initially configure your outlet numbers)
faile_safe2.png

Click the Check Box for Initial State for each outlet you want to remain on even after it looses connection to the P4
faile_safe3.png

Click Ok and your all done :) Very Easy, and Painless

One Quick Hint:
First go into your Switch Channels and Outlets and Right down the Outlet Numbers you want to override on in the event of power. It makes it easier when your looking at the power Bar.
faile_safe4.png

When the Apex loosing connection to a power bar you configure the Fallback option to determine the state of the outlet. You need to go to each outlet you wish configure to behave and place a Fallback on (Outlet will remain on if it loosed communication to the Apex) or Fallback Off(Outlet power downs when it looses connection to the Apex). Depending on Control Type you use you may be given a menu option to for Fallback. If the Outlet your programming is set to a Control Type of Advanced you can add Fallback on or Fallback off option can be placed into the code.
Apex_menu.png
apex_menu2.png

Once again great job! Thank you for covering this!

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto and @WWIII i calibrated my pumps on my doser tonight. They do not pump as much as I thought they would. On speed 0 they were between 4.5 -5 ml min. At speed 1 they are all between 9-10ml min. This is far different from the initial setting from the factory of 60ml min at 0. What did yours calibrate to?

I will be setting up my KH Director this weekend. I have a trip to go on tomorrow through Sat afternoon and I would like to be home when I initially set it up just in case

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto and @WWIII i calibrated my pumps on my doser tonight. They do not pump as much as I thought they would. On speed 0 they were between 4.5 -5 ml min. At speed 1 they are all between 9-10ml min. This is far different from the initial setting from the factory of 60ml min at 0. What did yours calibrate to?

I will be setting up my KH Director this weekend. I have a trip to go on tomorrow through Sat afternoon and I would like to be home when I initially set it up just in case

That is the correct dosing amounts for those speeds. I have no idea why it says 60ml per minute at 0 speed from the factory. For the kh director, according to the manual, the doser heads for sample water and waste water need to be on the fastest setting (speed 3). While the reagent head needs to be on the slowest setting (speed 0).

On speed 3 mine dose around 37 ml per minute. On speed 0, around 4.4 ml per minute.

As for actual dosing of elements, like calcium and alkalinity, it's kinda up to you, how much you dose, and at what times. I started out dosing on the fastest speed for my 2 part, but now use the slowest. Marco, and others suggest slower is better (perhaps more accurate) and keeps the tank more stable. That is up to a point, you wouldn't want to try and do ATO or water changes on the slowest setting.

So for the kh director they should be set as instructed, for everything else it's more of what makes sense for your application and amounts. Probably slower is better for stability.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I always wonder why the default numbers that show on the screen as so high I saw them more as a place holder. Maybe it shows so high to force people to calibrate them before using them?

At 0 mine were at 4.5 and at speed 3 it it was at 35ml.

All my doser that dose trace elements are all on speed 0.

Per the KH setup the water inlet and outlet port are speed 3.

My Maxi AWC and ATO are also at speed 3.

As for amounts to dose do you know how much your dosing now?

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto I am not currently using the doser. I will be waiting until I get back from my trip. I just calibrated the 6 pumps that I will be using. I am using Aquaforest 1+2+3 system. I have looked into Triton and ATI but Triton is never in stock anywhere I don’t see a reason to switch. Although I probably will send a water sample into ATI to see how the trace elements are

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Buddah001 luckly I purchased a large amount before the shortage issue. I am
Second guessing if on my new build I want to go Triton but have a few months to see if the supply issue straighten out.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Buddah001 mine does without any issues it displays when it measuring and when it done with the value of my Alkalinity.

I will double check my config when I get home but you can see a picture from my ptouch above when it is measuring, I think all I did was check enabled.

Last edited:

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does not show up on my ptouch for some reason

I don't remeber selecting kh director to show up on my touch, but it does. Do you have it selected on GCC under "Display" "Viewable elements"? My touch shows last measurement value as well as showing when the kh director is taking a measurement.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Buddah001

Here is a screen shot of my configuration with the Ptouch. It is enabled in Display Menu Viewable elements:
director.png

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance anyone knows how to get you dkh reading in the dashboard on the GHL Connect app?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GCC app has a update which is now available to iOS and Android users. Below is the changes in this update :)

Changes are below:
7C05BED4-E601-4ED4-8AD2-E32D41A5696C.png

Buddah001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto what do you think about the Mitras lights? I’m thinking about switching from my 2x AI Hydra 52’s and 1 x AI Hydra 26. Think I would only need two above my 135g? 48x24x30.
2x LX 7206 should work??

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back