Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this whole thread and just wanted to verify something. Is it true that GHL doesn't have any type of cloud integration, so the only way to manage your system remotely from the app is to port forward the device?

They have cloud integration with myghl.com

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now with the GHL flow sensors being online for a while, below were my observations on GHL and Neptune Systems Flow Sensors:

Observations: Both GHL and Neptune Systems flow sensors can be viewed and programmed via a HTML interface, but Neptune systems can graph/chart flow meters over a period of time. To connect a flow sensor to an Apex base unit and external module (FMM) needs to be connected to the base unit this is not a requirement for GHL. Depending on the location you install a Neptune systems flow meter, based on the paddle-wheel design of the sensor, it may require more maintenance due to clogging or binding of the paddle wheel. (The original installation of the Neptune System flow sensors were off my return pump and reefgium input and I had to clean the Neptune Systems Flow sensors every 3 months to maintain optimal operations, this has not been the case with the GHL flow sensors installed in the exact same location).

Heres a little more info about the GHL vortex flow sensors.

Flow Sensor 2000 l/h - 10mm (3/8″ ID) (26gph – 528gph)
Flow Sensor 5000 l/h - 20mm (3/4″ ID) (79gph – 1,320gph)
Flow Sensor 9000 l/h - 25mm (1″ ID) (142gph – 2,377gph)

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product-category/profilux-accessories/ghl-sensors/

EdsReefOdyssey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“A little more info” sounds better than “correction”. ;)

Hopefully GHL updates the software in the future so we can run more than 4 flow sensors at a time. Graphing would also be nice.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tiggs GHL does have a cloud service, I show a few screen shots of it in the beginning of the thread. I use that if I am off network and need make changes to the P4. When I am home I use the GHL app, the P4 interface and the GCC Desktop app.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tiggs GHL does have a cloud service, I show a few screen shots of it in the beginning of the thread. I use that if I am off network and need make changes to the P4. When I am home I use the GHL app, the P4 interface and the GCC Desktop app.

Thanks for the clarification. I misinterpreted your comparison chart and took it as the GHLs' cloud service only being used to display graphing/reporting info, with any changes to the system having to be done locally or via port-forwarding. Local-only management would have been a major drawback for obvious reasons and port-forwarding a device in 2018 that runs on a standard port without MFA, a lockout threshold, or decent password complexity requirements is just asking for trouble. I'm glad that's not the case.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL app has been updated today they now added alarms, wps, access now to the stream groups!!

21BB9FB4-BBC3-451E-AA4D-DDC208519B8F.png

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Line Monitoring in the P4 (Firmware 7.14 and higher)

For Line Monitoring to work you need to connect a 12V Power Supply to the back of the P4 Mini 3.5 Jack. This power supply is plugged into a power strip that is not fed by the UPS that feeds by P4, but a surge protector that plugged into the wall. This Power supply will sense the power lost from the wall outlet and will begin to reduce power to non-essential equipment running the tank. What great about this is that you can even obtain more time on your UPS if for example you need to manually start your generator as non-essential equipment will automatically be powered down allowing more time on the UPS.

On the Back of the P4 we have a Line Monitor Plug, this Plug is used to attach a 12V Power-Supply to with a Mini 3.5 jack. And set it to 5V.

For me I purchased this one on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L2ZZ1...Vx&pd_rd_r=9XFWEC6X32C2A3SF7WE1&pd_rd_w=Cmdii

(Update 6/18/2018) - Please do not buy the Amazon at the time I posted this the GHL power supply was not out and used it. So that your P4 does not become void in warrenty below is the link.

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/profilux-4-adapter-for-power-cut-monitoring/

You will be plugging your Line Monitor Into this Port on the back of the P4 (Shown where by the Red Arrows)

line_mon.jpg

Enabling Line Monitoring
Open up MyGHL Desktop Application
Click on General
On the left hand side of the screen below Communication interfaces you will see a section labeled Power Cut Monitoring
By Default the feature is Disabled
Select Use LineMon Input

If your Line Monitor power supply is plugged and is powered up it will show Actual Power State OK like below
power_cut1.jpg

Below is what the interface would look like for me if for example power was lost to the power line monitor power sup
power_Cut2.jpg

You will also receive a text alert and email notification if you have configure email notifications of the power loss
text_power.jpg

Configure Power Cut Behavior
Click Extra
Click on Maintenance/Power cut 4 (This is the one I am using)
Type in a Description in both the GHL Control Center and in the Profilux
Now configure your Behavior of your system Switchplugs 1-10V interfaces, and Mitras Lightbars in the even a power outage occurs.
power_Cut3.jpg

Below is my Power-plan :)

My Mitras Lightbars
Are going to be reduced to 25% power

My Mitras Simulations (Used for Moon light)
Are going to be reduced to 0%

Below is my Socket configuration
Socket 1 Return Pump - On
Socket 2 Skimmer - On
Socket 3 Reefgium - Off
Socket 4 Chiller - On
Socket 5 Heater Sump - Off

Socket 6 Refgium light - Off
Socket 7 Media Reactor - Off
Socket 8 Heater Sump 2 - Off
Socket 9 CO2 Scuubber +PH - Off
Socket 10 CO2 Scubber -PH - Off

Socket 11 KH - Off
Socket 12 Maxi ATO - On
Socket 13 Maxi Maxi - Off
Socket 14 Doser 2.1 Off
Socket 15 Sump Display Off

Socket 16 MP40 Back Wall Left On
Socket 17 MP40 Back Wall Right On
Socket 18 MP60 Side On
Socket 19 Tank Heater On

Enable Power Cut Monitoring Mode
When your ready to enable your Power Cut Maintenance Program click on Activate Maintenance program during power cut in the Power cut monitoring section.
power_Cut4a.jpg

I set mine also not to switch off till 5 minutes after power cuts back on before releasing the outlets back to their default programming.

Overall Very simple :), all done from one screen no jumping around between menu options or the use of any advance programming logic.

Last edited:

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ditto,

Which plug did you use from the power suppler that you got.
3.5mm single channel ?

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super instructions - I couldn't had made it better.
And so fast - I finished my programming and just a few hours later Ditto was already using the new functions - amazing!

Maybe some will say GHL only wants to sell their own stuff ... but:
I have to point out that our adapter has 5V (not 12V) and it is modified to make sure that the power cut is recognized quickly and not with a longer delay, which may happen due to the capacitors in a standard (not modified) PSU.

And as usual: damages caused by a 3rd party products may not be covered by warranty

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matthias Gross - I will order one when they come out and turned mine down to 5V also while waiting for it. I did not know GHL had an adapter coming :)

Thank you for the great feature also!! It works great!!

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mortie31 Thank you, just remember buy the GHL power supply when it comes out, do not want anyone to void there warranty because of me :)

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to see power consumption/usage of PAB outlets without having to connect a laptop and use GCC?

Back