Switching tanks risk?

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title stated, I’m upgrading to a bigger a45g to a 90g tank and I’m planning to move all my corals and fish and some of my rocks. Is there any risk I should know about ? What’s best method I should follow ? Also to note I will add some more dry rock. Do I still have to do a full cycle ? Can I transfer all the fish at once ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If done properly, the only real risk is transferring an unwanted pest or two. But yea, you can effectively insta-cycle your new tank and transfer everything over in short order.

When I upgraded I seeded my new rock for a month or so prior to the arrival of the new tank (black rubbermaid trough, existing tank water and filter floss from water changes, heater, wavemakers, bacteria and ghost feeding).

Then I set the new tank up with fresh saltwater and sand, got everything running (filtration, heat, flow, etc.), added the rock I'd been curating and added an appropriate amount of Bio-Spira for the tank volume.

Transferred over my existing rocks (lifted them out and picked off any bristleworms), corals, fish and finally inverts (sifting through the sand to find a few stragglers). Then wound up my old setup at my leisure.

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tripled in size myself

you’re gonna need more everything than you think lol

my tank had a 3 day mini cycle on back end… diatoms came and went, dinos (I think) came and went last half of first week (too much dry rock)

take your time, be diligent, get extra saltwater on standby

don’t be in a hurry to move the corals to the new tank unless you need the light, they can handle a couple of days in a separate container while you iron out your new DT

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back