Switching to T5 need advice for 48x18x24 mixed reef

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current LED I am running is quite old and somewhat unreliable. I am looking to switch to t5 and would love some advice from some t5 experts.

I am looking to keep a mixed reef with mostly SPS and there aren't many shaded areas in the tank for LPS

I was wondering if running a 24inch 8bulb fixture with an LED strip would work getting the higher PAR in the upper half of the tank for SPS while keeping the lower half to an appropriate PAR for LPS. I was also thinking of adding 2 kessil a160 beside the t5 fixture at a later time.

I have to say I am a bit cautious to switch to T5 with a mixed reef. I will also take good LED lighting advice if switching to something non blackbox and affordable "similar to hydras"

Gallons: 90
Tank Length (Inches): 48
Tank Width (Inches): 18
Tank Height (Inches): 24

Please chime in with some advice. It would be very much appreciated

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do at least a 36” fixture. 24” will give painfully dark edges. A 6 bulb 36” fixture hung about 8” off the water would be perfect. 4 bulbs would even work honestly if you place the sps directly under it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the looks of the fixture itself matter, I'd look at the ATI sunpower. Reasonably priced for the quality you get. I would cover the whole 48" though if SPS is your end goal. You won't need to supplement with LED if you run the 6-8 bulbs.

The other way is Aquatic Life hybrid, but you would need the Kessils to achieve the PAR for SPS. AL fixtures are perfectly functional but not the same quality finish as ATI, IMO.

I run multiple fixtures of each in 24, 48 and 60" versions. Can't really go wrong.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get by with a 6 bulb unit easily. I have one on my standard 120 4x2x2. Its 4" off the surface. Looking for a used 8 bulb so I can run some actinics. Current bulbs are
3c+ 3b+.
20191023_194507.jpg

OP
OP
DanSavesTheDay

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a 48”. Dont cheap out and buy things twice. Get ann8 bulb fixture, not difficult or expensive to come by used.

What bulb order would you suggest on an 8 bulb. The fixture I am looking at controls the other 4 and inner 4 separately. I keep most of my LPS and zoas in the mid to front of the tank. Also should I worry about the t5 overlighting my LPS?

OP
OP
DanSavesTheDay

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do at least a 36” fixture. 24” will give painfully dark edges. A 6 bulb 36” fixture hung about 8” off the water would be perfect. 4 bulbs would even work honestly if you place the sps directly under it.

Thanks for the reply. I keep showing my buddy your profilepic because Mark Hamill is the best lol. I am thinking about ditching the canopy and going with a 48inch 8 bulb and running 6 bulbs to start and later adding the extra 2 bulb. Should I worry about overexposing my lps which are mid to front section of the tank? Depth wise they are on the lower 25-30% of the tank.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I keep showing my buddy your profilepic because Mark Hamill is the best lol. I am thinking about ditching the canopy and going with a 48inch 8 bulb and running 6 bulbs to start and later adding the extra 2 bulb. Should I worry about overexposing my lps which are mid to front section of the tank? Depth wise they are on the lower 25-30% of the tank.

Lol I wonder how many people see my avatar and think it’s me.
I think it depends on how high you mount them to be honest. Issue with running 8 bulbs on an 18” deep tank without a canopy is the outer bulbs will largely be illuminating the floor.

I ran 8x54 watt sunpower on my 90 gallon, with a canopy to keep all the light contained. But at 12” over the water. I had about 100-150 par on the sandbed which is fine for lps corals. I think a 6x39 watt ati sunpower mounted 6-8” off the water would still spread plenty to be honest.

OP
OP
DanSavesTheDay

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I wonder how many people see my avatar and think it’s me.
I think it depends on how high you mount them to be honest. Issue with running 8 bulbs on an 18” deep tank without a canopy is the outer bulbs will largely be illuminating the floor.

I ran 8x54 watt sunpower on my 90 gallon, with a canopy to keep all the light contained. But at 12” over the water. I had about 100-150 par on the sandbed which is fine for lps corals. I think a 6x39 watt ati sunpower mounted 6-8” off the water would still spread plenty to be honest.

I will keep my eye out for a 36 6bulb ati if I can. Trying to find one used but most on here are sold or local pickup

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I will keep my eye out for a 36 6bulb ati if I can. Trying to find one used but most on here are sold or local pickup
I think 36 inch would be the best option. I just setup a 4 foot frag tank at home, and the 36 inch ati was a bit too small for me. But I do appreciate the couple of inches of space where i can place the more lower light corals.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the long run you will be fine. T5 is a much more forgiving light than LED.

In the short run, you may need to raise the fixture a bit to acclimate everyone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back