Symbiodinium. Got any treatment ideas?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do some measurements today but that is the sticker on the pump, its a pretty small pump. So would you run that pump fully open at 53gph? I think that may have been some of my issues, I moved it over half way but sounds like even fully open I should be good, right?

I want to put it in a bucket and time it and see what I get and then I will know for sure, right now I am leaning that I need to fully open it up.

Sounds like a good plan, then you will know for sure what rate it's pumping. If we knew for sure that 53 gph was the wide open setting, that's where I would put it. That's perfect.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan, then you will know for sure what rate it's pumping. If we knew for sure that 53 gph was the wide open setting, that's where I would put it. That's perfect.
I have a 1 liter container, it emptied that out in about 20sec so 4l/min, 240l/hr about 60-63gph. Thats about 2x or there abouts, I had it at the minimum, didnt do the test with that but I assume it would be much much less. Let me know what you think...right now I have it all the way open.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1 liter container, it emptied that out in about 20sec so 4l/min, 240l/hr about 60-63gph. Thats about 2x or there abouts, I had it at the minimum, didnt do the test with that but I assume it would be much much less. Let me know what you think...right now I have it all the way open.

I would leave it wide open. Your UV is right on the hairy edge of adequate for your tank and that rate is the perfect one to maximize the chances of it working out. We should know pretty soon. I had improvement within a couple of days but most people see it in a couple of weeks at least.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I was tired yesterday and looking at the math its all wrong, 1l per 20 sec would be 3l per min, lol. Which is a little less but given that I had a stop watch and wasn't as accurate I still think its in the neighborhood of 50gph. So what is the GPH that we are looking for in respect to tank volume, is it 2-3xgph that we are looking for? I new it was slow but never really could find the recommendation multiplier range.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I was tired yesterday and looking at the math its all wrong, 1l per 20 sec would be 3l per min, lol. Which is a little less but given that I had a stop watch and wasn't as accurate I still think its in the neighborhood of 50gph. So what is the GPH that we are looking for in respect to tank volume, is it 2-3xgph that we are looking for? I new it was slow but never really could find the recommendation multiplier range.

Most people quote 1-3 times tank volume and I like the middle of that range.....which would be about 50-60 gph for your tank.

Christoporia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I had a major GHA problem in my fuge and some in my tank. Although I think some of it was actually this stuff. I did 3 rounds off Flucanzole, very small amount of vibrant and I killed all GHA and potentially some of this stuff ( I didn't look at it to closely since I knew GHA had killed a frag and I had a BUNCH overtaking my macro in my fuge). About 2 months later this stuff broke out bad. Started only in sand but slowing getting some on rocks. So some evidence that maybe flucanzole works, if it gets bad enough maybe I'll try again.
I wish there there was more information on this stuff out there.
I also treated my tank with Flucanzole for some hair algae and now chrysophytes have got a hold in my tank. It never really developed in my sand, but more the upper rock layers where higher par is. I've been treating with H202 (not much help), dosing MB7 daily (no help), 3 doses of vibrant over 10 days (no help), using waste away also (no help), basting off rocks and dosing a flocculant and changing socks before lights on (some help). Nothing has really helped my other than manual removal makes it subside for about 3 days. Basting daily keeps it in check, but I am looking for the solution to rid my tank of it. I also have UV running 24/7 since set up, doesn't help either.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also treated my tank with Flucanzole for some hair algae and now chrysophytes have got a hold in my tank. It never really developed in my sand, but more the upper rock layers where higher par is. I've been treating with H202 (not much help), dosing MB7 daily (no help), 3 doses of vibrant over 10 days (no help), using waste away also (no help), basting off rocks and dosing a flocculant and changing socks before lights on (some help). Nothing has really helped my other than manual removal makes it subside for about 3 days. Basting daily keeps it in check, but I am looking for the solution to rid my tank of it. I also have UV running 24/7 since set up, doesn't help either.
Try some live rock/ live sand from the ocean and cease all other eradication methods.

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has made headway with this stuff. I’m currently dealing with it in a tank I recently setup with a mix of live rock from a local reefer and about 15 pounds of cured Jakarta rock from a semi-local seller. It seems to be growing heaviest on one side of the tank….on a large rock that was most covered in coralline. I’ve been trying everything to get it under control, short of flucanazole (do not want to go down that road again with my sticks).

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has made headway with this stuff. I’m currently dealing with it in a tank I recently setup with a mix of live rock from a local reefer and about 15 pounds of cured Jakarta rock from a semi-local seller. It seems to be growing heaviest on one side of the tank….on a large rock that was most covered in coralline. I’ve been trying everything to get it under control, short of flucanazole (do not want to go down that road again with my sticks).
I was pulling 3 levers at the same time to get rid of my golden algae/chrysophytes/gunk so I cannot be totally certain which truly solved it. My nutrients had been on a run, so I brought them down. I added a One Spot Foxface (which every tank should have IMO) and... wait for it... Vibrant.

Just in case you missed all the chatter around Vibrant, it does not contain bacteria. It contains Busan 77, the active algaecide contained in AlgaeFix. So just buy some AlgaeFix and be careful with it.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, I am dealing with this in one of my DTs. My post can be found below. About to do a half dose of Algaefix. I had LCA in my other tank, how ironic, I come home and the LCA is gone but now this is going on on another system, lol. Algaefix, MB7, SI, daily vacuuming and H202 worked on LCA. I see most of that won’t work here, and it looks like neither will a UV, but am unsure based on the read. I added some SI and will try to Algaefix. However, I have Acro frags and I see people having hesitation with sps and Algaefix. I’d rather not do Flucanazole if I don’t have to.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am dealing with this in one of my DTs. My post can be found below. About to do a half dose of Algaefix. I had LCA in my other tank, how ironic, I come home and the LCA is gone but now this is going on on another system, lol. Algaefix, MB7, SI, daily vacuuming and H202 worked on LCA. I see most of that won’t work here, and it looks like neither will a UV, but am unsure based on the read. I added some SI and will try to Algaefix. However, I have Acro frags and I see people having hesitation with sps and Algaefix. I’d rather not do Flucanazole if I don’t have to.

I can confirm that UV does not affect these guys. They don't swim.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back