Synergy overflow noise

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys/gals finally got my tank running last night. No leaks! No problem getting the synergy overflow dialed in and the rear box virtually silent. My question is about the interior wet side. The water is probably 2/3 up the weir which is fine. But there is a pretty loud trickle of water. Just wondering if this is common. Is there some tuning I need to do. Your help would be appreciated. @synergyreef

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st note , an overflow will quiet down some in time as a bit of a slime coat forms. If I assume everything is connected correctly the sound you are hearing is from the water fall effect cascading through the "teeth" into the overflow area, you can minimalize this by slower flow through the return pump. I have never used the synergy overflow , have always had pre drilled tanks. but that situation still happens and that usually is the culprit. Now I do remember another thread with an after market overflow installed that was causing issues and I believe it turned out that the bulkheads were in wrong. hopefully someone that has a synergy will chime in.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 (gotta use the right tag for these guys!)

My overflow had some noise, but it was because I had the risers for the drains too low, and I was hearing the sound of the water move from the internal box to the exterior box. Making my drain pipes 3/4" higher took care of the noise completely.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really want to turn my return pump down, but I will try it and see if that does anything. @ksfulk thanks for the tag, and I made all my plumbing the sizes recommended in the directions. The only thing I changed was I didn't use street elbows just 90 degree elbows, and I made my emergency drain just a little shorter than the recommended length. That's why I think it's either a turbulence issue, or as @cjd suggested too much flow going through it. I'm using an Iwaki 70RLT for my return. It's about 13' bellow the DT. Without any elbows, valves or anything else it should be at about 1088 gph. Add in all the elbows and valves it should be more like 1019 gph. The overflow should be able to handle all that and ten some right? According to the specs the overflow can handle 1500gph.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragit how much did u raise everything by I am getting a sound from my weir as well that is driving me insane

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragit how much did u raise everything by I am getting a sound from my weir as well that is driving me insane

Hey Justin! I made all the plumbing as directed. You are going to need to close the valve on your full siphon channel slowly to get rid of the noise. It's pulling more water than is going in, so the water in the tank side is dropping too far and making a trickle sound. If you go to far the partial siphon will start to make noise. Just go slow on the adjustments and you will figure it out.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulkheads need to be under water or you'll hear sloshing from the weir side into the drain side. The partial siphon on mine is about half out of water. Totally silent.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a lot of flow two vectra m1s at number five

I had the pipe as was directed and it was and still is loud.

So last night I made the partial syphon at like six and for about a half hour it was totally silent.

@fragit or @don_chuwish can u take a picture of ur tear box for me??

I think I'm getting there but I just wanna see as that's how I learn

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get you a decent photo because of space. I can assure you though any noise is not because of the internal plumbing dimensions it's all about the control valve. I would make all your plumbing as directed. I went through this same thing. Trust me it's the valve, close it in small increments and stand there looking at the water level inside the rear box. When it's quite you have it right!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe ya but with my amount of flow in order for the water to be above the two bulkheads I'm running a lot of water thru the secondary syphon

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry was off the web for a bit

No I have not gotten it if I run it fully open it slips tons

I can get it to be dead silent where I think something is wrong for about an hour then it goes back to slurping I barely have a drip going down the secondary drain

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HMM, sounds like what you need to do is get it to that silent point, and then close the valve just a little bit more. What it sounds like is happening is that the siphon is pulling just a little more water than the pumps are providing, and it takes a bit for you to see(hear) that. Are the M1s just running at 5 and not changing speeds? You will get it just keep messing with it. We can also ask the folks at synergy for help if needed.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fragit but I think it's @mixer911

It's like I'm right at the cusp of getting it I even lowered the m1 s to 30% and nothing

should the water be above the to two 35 mm holes?

I'm stumped I am cause I have gotten it to be dead silent and it was amazing

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@justingraham yes the 2 bulkheads going thru the tank need to be underwater in the rear box. This is key to making it dead silent. Water level in the rear box should be close to the top of the box when running.

Also make sure your vectra's aren't doing something weird. I have had them change flow rates on me before randomly. I had to completely reset the pump a few times before it would recalibrate and not do the weird flow change.

If that doesn't work then youmay need to tweak the internal pipes as well for your particular flow. A 1/4" can make a huge difference.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back