T-Man's new 50 Gallon Drop Off

Mark Teitelman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all...I'm 8 months in on my IM Abyss 20 gallon drop off...so far so good on that one...looks like this:

IMG_1337.jpg
IMG_1339.jpg

I really like the look of the drop off tanks...so after some research I settled on Mode Aquariums 50 gallon Drop Off...with a 25 gallon sump. I'm not very skilled at DIY, so I liked that the stand came fully assembled and the plumbing was very easy.

Here is how it came in:

IMG_1332.jpg

And after about an hour of assembly and putting plumbing together:

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

And I'm using a brand new European filtration product here :)

IMG_1342.jpg

Equipment list: (some still on the way...been saving up to buy a couple of really nice things for it)
System comes with what seems like a pretty good pump so far...but I will be needing more flow.

50 pounds live sand
50 pounds live rock
Deltec SCA 1351 Skimmer
Arid N18 Algae Reactor
Aqamai wireless KPS wavemaker
Cobalt 150 watt internal heater
MarinePure Block 8X8X4
MarinePure spheres
2 liters Siporax
Polyfilter pads
Chemipure Blue
Purigen

I have decided that the sump is way too small for a true refugium so that's why I'm going with the Pax Bellum reactor. Really curious to see how it plays out, I feel like it will be a fun project and if it works I will get lots of pods in the reactor and all the benefits of a good refugium. Using 2 of the sump chambers for biological filtration.

Here are some pics of sand in place:

IMG_1341.jpg

Here is the stock sump (waiting on the skimmer and a few other filter items to fill it up)

IMG_1347.jpg

Went and got some pretty nice live rock from LFS:

IMG_1340.jpg

Scaping:

IMG_1345.jpg

water going in:

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Filled up!

IMG_1346.jpg

With the lights on:

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

Super cloudy!!! Plopped in some Dr. Tim's One and Only and I'm underway on the fishless cycle. Worked well on my other drop off 8 months ago, let's do it again!

So far I like the Kessil AP700 a lot, although I'm curious what other folks are using for programming. I am mostly using variations on blue, but not sure on intensity yet. I travel a lot so SPS is out of the question on this tank, will stick to LPS and softies.

That's all for now...should have skimmer in tomorrow along with a few other things...will update the thread as I move along...definitely going to take my time and let the biological filter really settle in. But my hopes are high for it to turn out really nicely!!!

T-Man out

OP
OP
Mark Teitelman

Mark Teitelman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer showed up today...nice build quality...anxious to see if the new pump is as good as they say...
IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

Will have it running tonight and will update!

OP
OP
Mark Teitelman

Mark Teitelman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chef that pic is of my OTHER nano...the new one is cycling and in the pics below...in fact here is the skimmer installed:
IMG_3415.JPG

Dialing it in...I am going to end up putting it on a 3" inch plate so the water level will remain constant at around 8 inches. So in a couple days hopefully it will be skimming...

OP
OP
Mark Teitelman

Mark Teitelman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the skimmer is going crazy breaking in...should probably take some dialing in and water level adjustments...but so far everything is moving along...the blue lights make it not quite the right hue on the pic but I'm happy so far! I'll try to get some daylight ones tomorrow. Sump is basically filled, just waiting on the algae reactor which will be another week or two.

IMG_1353.jpg

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What aren't u mounting the ap700 parallel to the tank instead of perpendicular? I would think it would give betterblight for the tank

OP
OP
Mark Teitelman

Mark Teitelman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't want to hang it from ceiling the room is 20 feet high, and this was my best option. The light actually is quite strong and in the far side of the tank I plan on putting stuff that isn't as demanding for strength so I think it will work ok.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back