T5 being phased out?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny. That is the highest selling t5ho bulb in the hobby, and t5 is more popular than ever. I think your source was either grievously misinformed or misinterpreted something. T5 is not being phased out, let alone the most popular bulb in particular

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be highly unlikely they are just discontinuing their most popular and highest selling T5 bulb, would make very little financial sense. They might be updating it and making changes to the spectrum, but I can't imagine they will be eliminating it completely.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just heard from some one in my local cloud that ATI blue plus are discontinued and being phased out?

FALSE!

That’s funny. That is the highest selling t5ho bulb in the hobby, and t5 is more popular than ever. I think your source was either grievously misinformed or misinterpreted something. T5 is not being phased out, let alone the most popular bulb in particular

TRUTH!

OP
OP
RJKain-777

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FALSE!

TRUTH!

That’s what I figured, one of my LFS said there supplier said they can’t bring in T5 bulbs any more because there discontinued. Which made 0 sense to me because , like you said, T5 is one of the most popular lighting options, especially combined with LED.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I figured, one of my LFS said there supplier said they can’t bring in T5 bulbs any more because there discontinued. Which made 0 sense to me because , like you said, T5 is one of the most popular lighting options, especially combined with LED.

Its possible they buy from one of our sub distributors. We have only 1 distributor for all of North America but some distributors buy at wholesale and resell it for higher wholesale. Have your dealer contact Clear Choice Distribution for product. Its likely the supplier discontinued them, not the manufacture. Since Clear Choice is the only distributor there is a good chance your LFS is buying it from someone else.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are lying to you to get you to buy a new light from them... or they are incompetent. People have been promising the demise of fluorescent lighting for more than a decade, but you can bet if UVL has enough business still to make VHOs for hobbyist use, then T5s are in no danger at all.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems T8 and T5 need to meet efficiency requirements (lm/watt) to continue production. I have not seen the lumen specs for the ATI Blue Plus but their own response seems to indicate they meet the minimum govt. requirements. This blog says most T5 meet it, but they do not say all.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Government does not regulate specialty lighting, just general purpose. Reef lights do not apply.
Could be but all T12 and T8 reef lighting is unavailable now from the major distributors in line with this regulation.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be lack of market for the t12 and t8 bulbs that they're rarely produced these days. Not really sure to be honest.

I don't think the t5 is going any where for a while. BRS literally has a couple thousand total bulbs of ATI Blue Plus in various lengths in stock right now. That doesn't even count the other bulbs they carry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back