T5 hybrid 120g mixed reef

Durangoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2020
Messages
31
Reaction score
7
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting my 120g 48x24x24 mixed reef tank and need help with lighting. I currently have 2 xr30’s. But am wondering if I should as t5 hybrid setup. And if I do how important is dimming?
 
T5s help to create a more even spread of light in larger tanks. With point source LEDs you can be left with dark zones due to most of the light coming from a small puck filled with diodes. Some people also swear by T5 light and think that corals grow better under it. Really what you do in terms of straight LED or hybrid depends on your goals for the system. What type of corals will you be keeping, how densely you are going to stock with coral, and what your aquascape looks like will all play in to what your best choice is. The two XR 30s should suffice for LPS, softies, and some easier SPS, but you will definitely have "dark" areas that are shadowed. A third XR30 and/or supplemental T5 lighting would be a good idea IMO. I am sure that more people will chime in on this with some specific T5 fixture recommendations. I don't have a lot of experience with T5s as I usually run exclusively LEDs but I have seen many tanks much more beautiful than mine that rely on T5 lighting.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new