t5 leds or both

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking about adding the aquatic life hybrid t5 fixture to my g4 pros or just going ati 6bulb fxiture which would be best my tank is 72'x25'x25' long i have mainly softies lps for now but plan on adding sps in the near future

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sounds like you are itching to go over to T5's one way or another.
You can't go wrong with a ATI T5 6 x 80 watt fixture.
With a mixed softy tank Radions or just T5's is plenty.
I'd wait on the hybrid fixture until you do go full sps and start seeing some shading.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appropriate LEDs, T5s, Metal Halides, or a Hybrid of any of them will work to grow ANYTHING and everything you want. After that, it comes down to personal preference. I would suggest finding some tanks running hybrids vs. straight T5s and seeing which one you like.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I get the ati 6x80 watt or get the aquatic life hybrid and add my g4 pros to it is 4g4 pros with the aquatic life overkill?

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added one row in front and one in back of T5s on My 150 lit with 3 Radion xr15s and it looks much better. Helps with shadowing and makes the light coverage look smoother, for lack of a better word. Also started growing corraline.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want some sps but hanging anything from the ceiling or wall is a no no thats why leds is my only choice.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shading on sps is the issue with LED's but you can run any tank successfully with them.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my lights are shoved underneath a canopy. About 8” above surface. It’s tight. Good luck

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really getting tired of this "you can only grow SPS with T5" junk. Best SPS tanks I've seen the past 5 years are all LED..mostly black boxes.

Shading isn't a problem with LEDs if you spread the fixtures out properly. Most reefers don't because they spend too much money on too few overpriced LED fixtures with too small a footprint. Problem exists between keyboard and chair, not the technology.

I you were to put a row of Kessils along the middle of a 72'x25'x25' you would have shading problems with large SPS. Light is only coming from a narrow strip in the middle.

If you were to put the kessils in each corner of the 72'x25'x25' there's no shading problem.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with you already having 4 G4s you could either add a pair of t5s to each side and have more than enough or you could add 1 xho reefbrite to each side and have plenty and not have to deal with old tubes.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's personal preference.

This video will help you more than anything I or anyone else could type:

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel everyone’s wants the best of both worlds in the end. Leds do definitely give a pop to corals when you want actinics. And the t-5 give the gently but deff potent par, in the end if you get the t5 fixture you may end up putting reefbrites for that look or you can stick with the radions which will give potent par with the good par from the 4 bulb aquatic life. I am going to go with the aquatic life fixture with radions in the middle because at that point you can dial back par from the radions to your liking.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking about adding the aquatic life hybrid t5 fixture to my g4 pros or just going ati 6bulb fxiture which would be best my tank is 72'x25'x25' long i have mainly softies lps for now but plan on adding sps in the near future
Go with 2 X 36" simple non-dimmable Sunpower ATI 8 bulb fixtures, if you want to have the very best for your system!!!!
You still can add Reef Brite strips XHOs on the sides, if you want. Not necessary at all, but some people like the "blues" from LEDs.
That's going to be an amazing system, independent of the organisms you choose!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thikkng more t5 what color bulbs should I go with?
Most bulbs will give you what you need to grow corals. Blue Plus bulbs are very good to start with. Get some "white' bulbs" to try and see what you like aesthetically. Avoid Purple Plus bulbs and get Blue Plus or Pure Actinic instead.
Personal preference!

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as pop dont care for it i want good growth as im looking to get into sps ive tried most of the easy stuff had ups nad downs but who dosent in this hobby i need a challenge looking at the ati 6 bulb due to the fact it has the fans to cool off the bulbs as the aquatic life it will give me the best of both worlds but still no fans to cool off the bulbs still not sure what to do

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have the g4 Pro's I think it's a no brainer to go with the Aquatic Live retro hybrid fixture. One of my best upgrades ever, with the combo you can control your par with the intensity of the g4's. You will not be disappointed.

IMG_4505.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back