T5 or LED SPS Reef

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydra26HD as well as a PrimeHD lighting my acropora dominant Nuvo 20 (24x12 display). Even with multiple LED fixtures, the issue with shadowing is becoming really apparent as my SPS grow into colonies. I'm seriously considering about moving to an ATI 24x4 Sunpower fixture to replace my LED's. You guys think T5s will give me better growth and coral health?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about just going to a hybrid T5/LED? You get the best of both worlds then. You can use the T5s as your primary light source with the LEDs doing the ramp up/down plus adding some pop. I had the same issue with my Radions so I switched to a 4 bulb T5 hybrid.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydra26HD as well as a PrimeHD lighting my acropora dominant Nuvo 20 (24x12 display). Even with multiple LED fixtures, the issue with shadowing is becoming really apparent as my SPS grow into colonies. I'm seriously considering about moving to an ATI 24x4 Sunpower fixture to replace my LED's. You guys think T5s will give me better growth and coral health?
Yes, much better for coral growth, health, and still will have amazing colors! Just do it! T5s only all the way!
Make sure to get as many bulbs to cover all the surface area of your tank. That is how it works!
You won't regret it!

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, much better for coral growth, health, and still will have amazing colors! Just do it! T5s only all the way!
Make sure to get as many bulbs to cover all the surface area of your tank. That is how it works!
You won't regret it!
I just ordered an ATI Sunpower 24x4 (which will cover my entire tank), hopefully I notice some positive results!

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about just going to a hybrid T5/LED? You get the best of both worlds then. You can use the T5s as your primary light source with the LEDs doing the ramp up/down plus adding some pop. I had the same issue with my Radions so I switched to a 4 bulb T5 hybrid.
I actually have a 24" hybrid fixture sitting around for a future build (aquatic life dimmable DX18). The problem with the Nuvo 20 is that because it's so narrow (only about 12" in the display), there isn't a hybrid fixture available for its size :-(

plexx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this subject has been beaten to death ,but I have tried a lot of different leds and always went back to t5. I use a ati 4 bulb t5 plus reef brite xho blue for pop and everything dose great . I think with t5's , get the bulbs you like and don't worry about lighting anymore.

Attachments

• 20201212_100043.jpg
    20201212_100043.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 137

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 A160WE kessils (highest intensity @35%) lighting my deep ocean shallow tank 24X24X12. And have been debating getting hybrid T5 myself. I used to have a prime 16hd too but sold it.

Do you guys think it will be Overkill? I have 11LPS, 1birdsnest,and Rose BTA.
Corals are doing great and growing but i am afraid I would fry them if get the hybrid.

IMG_20201201_150446387.jpg

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a 24" hybrid fixture sitting around for a future build (aquatic life dimmable DX18). The problem with the Nuvo 20 is that because it's so narrow (only about 12" in the display), there isn't a hybrid fixture available for its size :-(
The Reef Brite Slim Line Supra with XHOs should work. The fixture has two T5s and you can attach two XHOs, one on each side.

With the XHOs it measures 9" across.

Here's a thread on mine.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should spend your money on a bigger tank then. :p

I'm really starting to think that puck/cluster-based LEDs don't really work well until you get to the point where you have multiple pucks in each direction. (IE, 4 pucks minimum). Even with my XR30 on my Nuvo40 -it does a great job left-to-right with the two pucks, but front to back it doesn't do a great job - the corals on the back half of the tank are brown on the back, and the corals on the front half of the tank are brown on the front.

I think 2 XR30s spun 90' would work great, but I could light a MUCH bigger tank with that.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d totally recommend T5s. Then throw a reefbrite or two for added color. I have a 7.4g and noticed the same things. Bought 2 primes and I can tell shadows will still be an issue on the outer colonies. I feel T5s also provide better natural color

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should spend your money on a bigger tank then. :p

I'm really starting to think that puck/cluster-based LEDs don't really work well until you get to the point where you have multiple pucks in each direction. (IE, 4 pucks minimum). Even with my XR30 on my Nuvo40 -it does a great job left-to-right with the two pucks, but front to back it doesn't do a great job - the corals on the back half of the tank are brown on the back, and the corals on the front half of the tank are brown on the front.

I think 2 XR30s spun 90' would work great, but I could light a MUCH bigger tank with that.
I actually have a larger tank in the works! I have everything I need to get it running besides a stand :) waiting on a custom made one to be shipped out mid January. I have an aquatic life hybrid sitting around for it.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I love my dimmable. Two words... one cord. What bulbs did you go with?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 30" coralife T5 over a 20 long (30x12x12) and it was awesome. Grew everything.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 148 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back