t5 supplement suggestions blue vs actinic

Mr. GoodStuff

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2019
Messages
244
Reaction score
49
Location
60455
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
24x24 60 gallon cube with a atlantik orphek v4 compact and I would like to add two 24" t5 fixtures on each side of the light to help out with shadowing and lower light areas. I'm stuck between deciding on ATI true actinic or blue plus or one of each.

Originally I planned on doing 1 true actinic and 1 blue plus but had concerns it might be unbalanced since they would be on opposite sides of the orphek or am I overthinking and it should be fine?
 
I would do Blue Plus, if T5 were your only option.
Have you considered a couple Reef Bite XHO strips?
 
Blue plus bulbs are lacking in the 400-420nm spectrum.

Looks like the Orphek V4 Compact is as well.

I personally would get actinics to supplement. I don’t really see a need for blue plus to improve your spectrum IMO because most LEDs (including yours) are plentiful around the 450 peak.

But at the end of the day, you can grow corals with many types of lightings. Supplementing with actinics is not required for success. But they do say that photosynthetic corals have a very large preference towards the 420nm wavelength, some coral fluorescent proteins also get excited in that wavelength.

It is potentially good for certain colors and growth (Depending on the coral).

896A04E9-F0E2-4CC4-B337-7676CF0349D0.jpeg
2EC785FA-FB25-462E-9455-2E2574AEF538.jpeg
72688982-23E4-41D1-9100-55B5B56264F6.jpeg
 
actinic bulbs look very dim to the eye. but corals do respond well to them. is this a 4bulb setup? for my 4 bulb- i use 2 Blue+, 1 purple plus and 1 actinic. give a nice purplish look.
 
+1 for the actinics being really dim to the eye.

I would run 2 Blue+, then adjust the LEDs to get the look you want.
 
I would find the bulb with the best full spectrum and not worry about blues for coral pop. All the coral pop blue light can be from your LED. Just add t5s for more full daylight spectrum.
 
Yeah I'm not really looking for coral pop, mainly for coral response and growth especially in lower and/or shaded areas.
 
Yeah I'm not really looking for coral pop, mainly for coral response and growth especially in lower and/or shaded areas.
if youre looking for coral health and growth then you cant go wrong with Blue +.
 
Blue plus with aqua blue special. Adjust your LEDs to the level of blue you prefer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new