T5ho wires burning...

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of t5's I believe I've wired them correctly, when I power up the lights come on and the wires at one end burn up! I've used them a few weeks ago and they were fine, I did rewire them to shorten the length, but this keeps happening.

I'll attach a photo of the ballast and a sketch of how I've wired yhem, pretty sure I've wired them correctly.

IMG_20200808_202603.jpg
IMG_20200808_202644.jpg

Not sure if I've misunderstood the diagram or something weird is happening?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of the burned up wire? A poor contact with the endcap can cause a ton of heat to be generated here.

Whatever you do, do not leave this unattended when powered as it poses a fire risk.

OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of the burned up wire? A poor contact with the endcap can cause a ton of heat to be generated here.

Whatever you do, do not leave this unattended when powered as it poses a fire risk.

This is burned up after literally 2 seconds of power, it's possible that they were maybe loose some how, this is the second pair that had burned up yesterday. I have one pair left over.

IMG_20200809_092950.jpg

OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling that I have wired these incorrectly, possibly I've misinterpreted the diagram, I had asked about this last year on ultimate reef a few reefer had replied:
"Connect no1 to one terminal at each end on both tubes( doesnt matter which one) and carry this wire onto 6. That leaves u one terminal at the end of each tube. Connect 2 to one end of tube 1 and 3 to the other end of tube one. Do the same for tube two except use 4 and 5.

On the right of the diagram it show if u only want to use 1 tube"

If this is correct my interpretation now would be this.

IMG_20200809_150624.jpg

Before I do any further damage can anyone confirm this?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no difference between the two wirings except you've split the 1 and 6 into two connections, they are still both series connections and should work. I think the gauge of your wire is too low. It looks like AWG 24 or 26 in your picture which is about as weak a wire as you could get. The other thought is that 2 x 39 T5 exceeds the ballast configuration. If the T5c column refers to T5 setups then 62w ( 40 + 22) or 44w ( 2 x 22) are the max for T5 on that ballast. The 2x42w in the first column refers to tubular compact lamps (TC) which likely have a completely different power profile and therefore can still work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more confused now...I've ran the pairs of t5's off these ballasts for a total of 6 weeks without problems, now to my knowledge if the ballasts are insufficient the tubes wouldn't illuminate or they would briefly then shut down? Not sure if that's right or wrong?

The wires are thin probably 26-28 awg. I can make an alternative with a lower gauge and modify the connectors.

Right now I'm 9 days without lighting on the tank, unfortunately my mean well lrs smps blew up (apparently still under warranty, trying to claim but no luck thus far) so I'm without LEDs and the t5's also, I've ordered a replacement PSU last Tuesday still not despatched..

There's quite a few reefers here using the same ballasts, still confused as ****

IMG_20200809_200057.jpg
IMG_20200809_200925.jpg

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the ballast, I'm just going by what's written on it. I would think if that configuration were by design then the ballast would have a value of at least 78w total in the t5c column. Lamps can be overdriven and underdriven and still operate. The ballast will try no matter what you attach to it and can certainly run out of range for extended periods. Bulbs change as they age and the demand on the ballast changes as well which may mean you've reached a tipping point. Have you tried the single bulb setup? Better than no light...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back