Tag went from fat to deathly skinny overnight. How?

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and found all of my fish breathing heavy. Especially my blonde naso. I found my bubble tip anemone had finally died and poisoned the tank so I transferred the gasping fish to my observation tank and did a massive water change. The other fish all worked up fine but the naso did not.

I would figure it was just the most affected by the toxic water it was forced to breathe overnight. But what I noticed was how skinny it is now. It looks like it hasn’t eaten in a month. Skinnier than I ever thought it could be. And last night it was very plump and eating heartily. It’s night and day. Like the difference between a fresh tube of toothpaste and a spent one.

How did this happen. Could there be something other than an ammonia spike going on here?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and found all of my fish breathing heavy. Especially my blonde naso. I found my bubble tip anemone had finally died and poisoned the tank so I transferred the gasping fish to my observation tank and did a massive water change. The other fish all worked up fine but the naso did not.

I would figure it was just the most affected by the toxic water it was forced to breathe overnight. But what I noticed was how skinny it is now. It looks like it hasn’t eaten in a month. Skinnier than I ever thought it could be. And last night it was very plump and eating heartily. It’s night and day. Like the difference between a fresh tube of toothpaste and a spent one.

How did this happen. Could there be something other than an ammonia spike going on here?
I'm not sure about the rapid weight loss, how does his breathing look now? @4FordFamily @HotRocks @ngoodermuth @Big G

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing internal parasites and it passed several. This is uncommon for it to be so drastic. Sorry for the trouble. Is the fish still eating?

Have you ever noticed white, stringy poop?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back