Tail gone on cardinal fish Cross hatch butterfly Need some insight !

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I went to place a flame cardinal fish in the display. I gace it one good look & saw his tail was gone. I put the fish back & a few later put filter & heater back. The fish had died. OK I lost a fish.
He's where I really blew it ! I recently set up another 20 long in anticipation of a Crosshatch Butterfly. I took one of the hobs from the cardinal tank & put it in the new tank. Then in goes the ButterFly ! ;Facepalm This butterfly was placed in the tank yesterday.. Now what ever took out the tail of the squirrel fish is now in the tank with the new crosshatch ! So I saw no fuzz or anything Just the clear part of the tail is gone.The fish did look washed out color wise.
HPIM9081.JPG
I'm going straight to humble fish's posts . I assume prazipro will take out any fungal stuff?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated .

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after some research fin rot looks the closest. Also the dorsel pectoral & anal fins are all intact & looked healthy. Just the bones were sticking out no fuzz or discoloration This was the only fish/critter in the tank .

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything to eat on him?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Jsker it was all by it'self. My Lfs Has a selection of meds, Prazipro was one I know.
Talk about not payin attention! I have coppersafe but don't think that's what I need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You So Much ! I'm kicking myself & freaking at the same time ! My LFS has Kanaplex .I'm going to your thread now. One question, If I treat with an Antibiotic will this destroy the fish's immunity to bacteria type afflictions?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again Humblefish. I have 2 20 longs hob filters heaters air stones & pump All I have for meds is copper safe & a test kit. I have all this stuff however admit Iv'e never treated a fish . It was bound to happen sooner or later. If I had paid "attention" I'd be treating a cardinal instead of a beautiful Butter Fly . here is a pic of said fish !
HPIM9067.JPG

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, My lfs opens at 11:00. Iv'e decided on SeaChem kanaplex . Now I don't know what afflicted this fish. It's sudden death surprised me. It must of been very weak when I netted it. I'm doing this as a preventative for the ButterFly. So I learned the kanaplex isn't real hard on filtration which is good. I have 2 Aquaclears A 70 & 30. I could take the smaller one off to lessen the amount of bad stuff that could be in it.
This is my 1st round of treating a fish so this will be a good learning experience for me. I hope the Kanaplex is the best choice & it won't kill any immunity the fish has for future exposures.
I don't know why the Cardinal's tail was gone, just bones sticking out. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back