Tail spot or bi color?

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching for a tail spot blenny for my reefer 170 over other blennies mainly because the max size of 2.5" compared to 4-5" of other algae eating blennies. But due to supply issues lately, no one has them. My tank could really use an algae eating fish to compliment the cuc as I'm in the uglies but not suffering any major issues yet, although i can start to see some hair growing minimally.

I have found an affordable bi color blenny locally, but since i was planning on long term size stocking for this tank the bi color i would eventually want to sell back to lfs or local reefer when tail spots become available again. That is not the ideal, but thinking i might need to do that in order to stay ahead of any algae issues along with maintaining my good parameters.

Any opinions on bi color vs tail spot in terms of eating algae and or eventual disposition in a fully stocked reefer 170 with planned two clowns, Mandarin, six line and possibly one chromis?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats wrong with a lawnmower blenny? They tend to be the best for this sort of issue from my experience and your tank is big enough

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molly miller blennies seem to be good for what you’re looking for but they stay smaller than the lawnmowers and starries. They are somewhat hard to come by it seems though.

so I guess a food for thought suggestion? (Idk. I just try to help lol probably not as good at it as I would like to be)

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your feeding real heavily, the fish you keep could hit max sizes.

However, if your going to be feeding limited quantities, like once or twice a day, the likelihood of having a maxed size of any fish is greatly reduced. I rarely see maxed sizes of any fish in this hobby. Some fish do get large but I don't see many captive specimens hitting sizes like their wild siblings.

Depending on what you plan to do, you could go the bi-color blenny and be more than okay.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats wrong with a lawnmower blenny? They tend to be the best for this sort of issue from my experience and your tank is big enough
I've read they get up to 5" and I'm trying to keep my cave bottom dwelling algae eating fish to a smaller size so that I can also get a blood shrimp in the available cave real estate I've set up.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your feeding real heavily, the fish you keep could hit max sizes.

However, if your going to be feeding limited quantities, like once or twice a day, the likelihood of having a maxed size of any fish is greatly reduced. I rarely see maxed sizes of any fish in this hobby. Some fish do get large but I don't see many captive specimens hitting sizes like their wild siblings.

Depending on what you plan to do, you could go the bi-color blenny and be more than okay.
Good info. I do like the look of both the tail spot and bi-color blenny over the lawnmower so I'd be happy with either, but was shooting for the smaller of the two species for reasons mentioned above.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait, I have a twin spot, very similar to a tail spot, I had a bi colour a few years ago that developed a taste for my montis.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tailspot rarely ever eats algae. When he does, he just takes one or two tiny pecks at the rocks or back wall, but not nearly enough to be effective at algae control.

Don't get me wrong, I love my tailspot and he's fun to watch, but I don't consider him an essential part of my cleanup crew.

7FA8BCEA-5A75-4BE0-8BC5-86CEC5ACD5FA.jpeg

1AF4FC9C-1A19-4A52-AD69-C71EAACD3A16.png

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been searching everywhere for a tail spot and finally found one at TSM Aquatics on pre-order for pickup on 9/22 (once it gets through their quarantine regiment). TSM is an hour and 45 min away from me so I saved money by choosing curbside pickup. Hopefully they will allow customers inside by then so I can check their place out and possibly look for any other fish. But in the meantime I have to wait a month for the tail spot. Just added my first two fish (juvenile clowns) the other day, so my tank should be ready for an additional small fish or two by then!

I realize they are not the only algae clean up, but am hoping the tail spot will make an effort with the few small tufts of GHA I have started. Nothing major beyond the plain green algae coating the dry rock.

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tailspot once, it liked my scolys and started eating them. That was the end of my tailspot

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecsenius species aren't the most reliable algae eaters.

I would advise against a mandarin and sixline together. Sixlines will outcompete the mandy for pods, and can become aggressive toward them as well. Although I would advise against a mandarin in that size tank as well without special measures to ensure an adequate pod supply.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecsenius species aren't the most reliable algae eaters.

I would advise against a mandarin and sixline together. Sixlines will outcompete the mandy for pods, and can become aggressive toward them as well. Although I would advise against a mandarin in that size tank as well without special measures to ensure an adequate pod supply.
what species would you suggest for my size tank to put a dent in any algae, beyond my snails, etc?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, none of the blennies are great for algae control... I'd recommend a small urchin since your tank is too small for a tang.

OP
OP
swiss1939

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, none of the blennies are great for algae control... I'd recommend a small urchin since your tank is too small for a tang.
I have not even considered urchins as i assumed they all would grow too large for my tank and would disrupt the coral. Any suggestions on specific urchins?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pencil Urchins are relatively small slow growers and don't have those super sharp spines to worry about stabbing you. One caveat - don't put an urchin in an acrylic tank.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange spot blennies would work, hectori gobies are also effective hair algae eaters for smaller tanks.

As far as urchins, a tuxedo or halloween urchin could work. But I would recommend against a pencil urchin. I've seen them start eating corals if there wasn't enough algae.

Also, make sure it is actually hair algae and not bryopsis, as there aren't hardly effective bryopsis eaters.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back