Take care of your animals and they will thrive and make you happy

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rummaging through old files and found the first pics taken of our Spanish greyhoud (fish pics to follow). This was my boy in 2011 when he was found on the streets outside of Sevilla, Spain emaciated and with a busted up knee.
Ciro Rescate 1.jpg

Ciro Rescate 2.jpg

Here he is now on the new rug I bought this week, which promptly became his. Spoiled rotten.
1691968634150.png

Right, so what does this dog have to do with reef aquariums? I'd say never count your animals out--they can come back from the brink. This dog was about a week away from death by starvation. I've had corals that I thought were D-E-A-D come back with full fluffy polyps. A little TLC can do wonders. Most recently, received a blue star leopard wrasse (M. bipartitis), shipped in sand, half its body laying out of the sand. Almost called time of death, but it did move when jostled by my fingers through the bag. I had set up a "landing pad" tank salinity matched for the fish with new sand and live rocks for observation and a slow salinity acclimation over days (knowing that leopards are sensitive to shipping stress).
1691969047605.png

In the landing pad tank, the M. bipartitis was acting erratically, pacing at the surface, swimming in circles and laying against the overflow. Outlook not so good.
1691969166765.png

Finally went into the sand, which was a relief. Long story short, raised the salinity from 1.020 to 1.025sg over about 6 days (factor in the weekend where I only let evaporation increase salinity), started hatching baby brine shrimp to stimulate a feeding response, and eventually got her into my DT, which gets fed really well. Knock on wood, but happy to say that she's doing great.
1691969404220.png

That yellow pig wasse was always doing great.

I've been amazed at the level of care given by the reefkeeping community to our tank inhabitants, even the brainless ones. Nursing anemones back to health in hospital tanks. Hand feeding urchins when they run out of algae. I saw a post by someone who performed surgery on a shrimp to get an isopod out of its carapace. For sure, seeing your animals grow and be healthy is very rewarding. For those of us in a rut with our tanks, chin up! With help, we'll get through it and back to a thriving tank!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a beautiful dog and so great to see the bipartitus is doing well!
@littlefoxx is another with a soft spot for the rescues

I worked with an animal rescue in a previous life and have a dog from the slums of Okakarara to show for it. Something I learned is the ones you put the most effort into make the best companions. It can be so tough when they don't make it when you tried so hard but if they do you will gain a love for that animal that is unsurpassable.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! That makes me so happy! My two dogs were also rescues, got them 8 years ago. Charlie the shih tzu was a bait dog in a fighting ring. For those that dont know its where they put a small dog on a small chain and let the fight dogs go after them to get them prepared to fight. HORRIBLE AND EVIL. To this day she is probably the most aggressive dog I know but is a very sweet girl to those she trusts.

Ruby, my american eskimo was an abuse case. She was not allowed to be adopted to a house with males because she peed every time she saw one and shook and hid. Now shes a very sweet girl and lays with my boyfriend and isnt skitty any more!

As for fish my newest rescue is Max my purple tang. She has a horrible case of HLLE and no one wanted her. Been at the store for 3 months. I took her home Saturday and shes doing amazing in my tank!

My other two rescues in the tank are Vegas and Spade my two clowns. Vegas is the darwin, 12 years old. Spade is the white one, six and had been at the store over a year and a half cause she was “too aggressive”. I expected fighting between the two but Spade accepted the role as the male without any squabble and follows Vegas around!

One if my LFS calls me with fish that are rough and see if I can take them. Recently they called me about an achellies tang, bur I had to pass because I know my tank is t right for one especially with a PBT!

Im so glad someone else has a huge passion for rescue animals! Thanks for sharing :)

Attachments

• IMG_1773.jpeg
    IMG_1773.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1801.jpeg
    IMG_1801.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2216.jpeg
    IMG_2216.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! That makes me so happy! My two dogs were also rescues, got them 8 years ago. Charlie the shih tzu was a bait dog in a fighting ring. For those that dont know its where they put a small dog on a small chain and let the fight dogs go after them to get them prepared to fight. HORRIBLE AND EVIL. To this day she is probably the most aggressive dog I know but is a very sweet girl to those she trusts.

Ruby, my american eskimo was an abuse case. She was not allowed to be adopted to a house with males because she peed every time she saw one and shook and hid. Now shes a very sweet girl and lays with my boyfriend and isnt skitty any more!

As for fish my newest rescue is Max my purple tang. She has a horrible case of HLLE and no one wanted her. Been at the store for 3 months. I took her home Saturday and shes doing amazing in my tank!

My other two rescues in the tank are Vegas and Spade my two clowns. Vegas is the darwin, 12 years old. Spade is the white one, six and had been at the store over a year and a half cause she was “too aggressive”. I expected fighting between the two but Spade accepted the role as the male without any squabble and follows Vegas around!

One if my LFS calls me with fish that are rough and see if I can take them. Recently they called me about an achellies tang, bur I had to pass because I know my tank is t right for one especially with a PBT!

Im so glad someone else has a huge passion for rescue animals! Thanks for sharing :)
Thanks for sharing pics/stories of your animal friends! Your story about Ruby calls out to me. After getting my boy Ciro in Barcelona, we started fostering Spanish rescue greyhounds. The situation there is dire, and the treatment of these poor dogs is barbaric. Luckily, lots of good homes in Barcelona, so I usually only had fosters for a couple of weeks before they went to forever homes. One poor girl was like Ruby. She didn't react well to any raised voices. If I dropped something or stubbed my toe, usually followed by a &%#$, she would drop on her back convulsing, pee on herself, close her eyes and peel back her lips, bracing herself--absolutely heartbreaking.

Now in California, we tried fostering once, but ended up not getting a call until 9 months later. At that point, I told them "No, sorry, we're hers now". And here she is doing what greyhounds do best.
1691985971312.png

She deserves a rest. Ran 190 races and placed in 174 of them (24 1sts and 36 2nds... all racing dog stats are available online).

Wouldn't mind fostering or rescuing fish and inverts, but I think having a home tank instead of an office tank would be a first step. I never know what's happening before/after hours in my tank! Although I'm thinking a video camera may be somewhere in the future...

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing pics/stories of your animal friends! Your story about Ruby calls out to me. After getting my boy Ciro in Barcelona, we started fostering Spanish rescue greyhounds. The situation there is dire, and the treatment of these poor dogs is barbaric. Luckily, lots of good homes in Barcelona, so I usually only had fosters for a couple of weeks before they went to forever homes. One poor girl was like Ruby. She didn't react well to any raised voices. If I dropped something or stubbed my toe, usually followed by a &%#$, she would drop on her back convulsing, pee on herself, close her eyes and peel back her lips, bracing herself--absolutely heartbreaking.

Now in California, we tried fostering once, but ended up not getting a call until 9 months later. At that point, I told them "No, sorry, we're hers now". And here she is doing what greyhounds do best.
1691985971312.png

She deserves a rest. Ran 190 races and placed in 174 of them (24 1sts and 36 2nds... all racing dog stats are available online).

Wouldn't mind fostering or rescuing fish and inverts, but I think having a home tank instead of an office tank would be a first step. I never know what's happening before/after hours in my tank! Although I'm thinking a video camera may be somewhere in the future...
Awe Im glad you got her! They abuse the F out of racing grayhounds, its so terrible! And yeah rescuing fish is very satisfying in my home tank because I get to look at them and know I gave them a tank! Max was in a super small tank at the store for months and always hiding but now she has a six foot tank and loves every inch of it! Very happy fish now. Same with my girls, they get spoiled because I know they didnt in their first year of life. I got charlie at age 1 and a half and Ruby at 1. Charlie just turned 8 in February and is still as ball crazy as the first day I gave her a small tennis ball. Ruby is turning 8 in October, and she enjoys all the bones she has in her toybox and all the cuddles!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I’ll share then:
Dhingo was actually in pretty good health for a street dog considering but he did have a form of drug resistant transmissible cancer that I couldn’t really afford to treat but of course did anyway. Dhingo is not smart but loves people and though it took 6 months he now lives in Atlanta with me. IMG_6737.jpeg IMG_5406.jpeg
I’ll include some my favorite Namibian rescues below but now I’m in the US I decided to take on difficult fosters. Patches probably had the toughest story. He came in severely malnourished, missing hair, two infections, and multiple rashes. Needed three weeks of tube feeding before he could suckle. But turned into the sweetest best cat ever.

IMG_5601.jpeg IMG_4684.jpeg IMG_4691.jpeg IMG_4696.jpeg IMG_4687.jpeg TITX2869.jpeg

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Roosevelt, a chi/daushund mix.
IMG_20220309_102554.jpg

He was a rescue from a rescue. He was found on the streets of Louisiana around 2016 at a year+ old. The "rescue" we got him from was more like an animal hoarder. The owner meant well, but had too many dogs and she was ordered to downsize her pack. She eventually left the property after offloading some dogs, but went to an even larger property. He came to us hookworm and heartworm positive....we even paid $300 adoption fees. Luckily she had a local vet to her that did his treatments for free.

As for coral rescues...I rescue from myself. I had a cyphastrea that was doing well. I had taken a little bit of tissue on the frag tile and mounted it to the glass. Both frags were doing well. Then something happened and both colonies died, except for a tiny piece of tissue.

The new growth on the glass has exceeded the original growth and grown back on the tile piece.
20230814_112552.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Duke, he was 11 months old when we rescued him. His owner was given two running at large warnings for him and his brother. His brother was hit by a car, had surgery and doing great with a loving family, and both were taken away from the owner. I have a torch coral given to me because it was on its way out. Colors haven’t returned but it is about twice the size in the 9 weeks I’ve had it. Still no flesh on the skeleton. It’s the one on the left.
0446FDC4-A6B3-42F9-9D9E-C75160EB8990.jpeg
012357C8-FCCE-418E-8FD0-155E75043002.jpeg
5228449E-B1B4-43B6-9C63-2CA4F0E3DBF0.jpeg

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in knowing what rehabilitation of marine fish would be like. I know a lot of people buy fish they don't know are OK for their tanks (hello Dory!), but I don't hear much about what happens to those fish. Surely they have to be rehomed once the owners realize their nano can't support a tang.

Do people foster misplaced/mismatched fish and find them forever tanks?

Edit: this looks like a topic for an independent thread.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rummaging through old files and found the first pics taken of our Spanish greyhoud (fish pics to follow). This was my boy in 2011 when he was found on the streets outside of Sevilla, Spain emaciated and with a busted up knee.
Ciro Rescate 1.jpg

Ciro Rescate 2.jpg

Here he is now on the new rug I bought this week, which promptly became his. Spoiled rotten.
1691968634150.png

Right, so what does this dog have to do with reef aquariums? I'd say never count your animals out--they can come back from the brink. This dog was about a week away from death by starvation. I've had corals that I thought were D-E-A-D come back with full fluffy polyps. A little TLC can do wonders. Most recently, received a blue star leopard wrasse (M. bipartitis), shipped in sand, half its body laying out of the sand. Almost called time of death, but it did move when jostled by my fingers through the bag. I had set up a "landing pad" tank salinity matched for the fish with new sand and live rocks for observation and a slow salinity acclimation over days (knowing that leopards are sensitive to shipping stress).
1691969047605.png

In the landing pad tank, the M. bipartitis was acting erratically, pacing at the surface, swimming in circles and laying against the overflow. Outlook not so good.
1691969166765.png

Finally went into the sand, which was a relief. Long story short, raised the salinity from 1.020 to 1.025sg over about 6 days (factor in the weekend where I only let evaporation increase salinity), started hatching baby brine shrimp to stimulate a feeding response, and eventually got her into my DT, which gets fed really well. Knock on wood, but happy to say that she's doing great.
1691969404220.png

That yellow pig wasse was always doing great.

I've been amazed at the level of care given by the reefkeeping community to our tank inhabitants, even the brainless ones. Nursing anemones back to health in hospital tanks. Hand feeding urchins when they run out of algae. I saw a post by someone who performed surgery on a shrimp to get an isopod out of its carapace. For sure, seeing your animals grow and be healthy is very rewarding. For those of us in a rut with our tanks, chin up! With help, we'll get through it and back to a thriving tank!
I LOVE this post!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back