Taking my fish friends to the vet for medical attention would be a catastrophe!!

Tina22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come across information on several websites (one of them ) indicating that the production of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin , Amoxicilin .. will be halted, and they will henceforth be available only through prescription. :crying-face::crying-face:
They don’t want you to have free access to these meds for a reason. Perhaps a reason that will become apparent soon.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come across information on several websites (one of them ) indicating that the production of antibiotics like ciprofloxacin , Amoxicilin .. will be halted, and they will henceforth be available only through prescription. :crying-face::crying-face:
They don’t want you to have free access to these meds for a reason. Perhaps a reason that will become apparent soon.
May I ask where you got this info? This would be terrible. I’m guessing a lot of vets won’t want to prescribe it if we say for sick fish and or corals. Sad

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a prescription in Canada for 2 decades now.
Never impacted me at all.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask where you got this info? This would be terrible. I’m guessing a lot of vets won’t want to prescribe it if we say for sick fish and or corals. Sad
Wonder how we're going to bring our corals in for a check-up

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been quite the hot topic on here lately - the thread linked below goes into more detail than I care to at the moment, but, IIRC, it sounds like they're trying to crack down on companies offering antibiotics that are either clearly intended for human use despite being marketed as fish antibiotics, or that are being produced/sold under questionable/legally questionable conditions; regardless it looks like the end goal is to try and aid in preventing antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains:
So, it sounds like you may need to get a vet prescription in the future, but it doesn't sound like it's to that point just yet - big name, reputable brands will likely still be selling these products for a while.

With regards to fish/coral and seeing vets for prescriptions, I'd guess we've got a long ways to go before most vets are willing to properly treat/prescribe for these animals (in part because of how fish are viewed in many societies and in part because the average vet likely doesn't know much about fish/coral disease and treatment), but for those that are willing/able, I'd imagine they'd accept pics/videos/video calls for diagnosis and prescription purposes.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First - I have never used antibiotics at all for my fish. Second - Every veterinarian in the world has access to zoom - and I doubt anyone would expect you to bring a fish into the office. Third - if you have a recommendation from someone with knowledge - I doubt you would have a problem

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been quite the hot topic on here lately - the thread linked below goes into more detail than I care to at the moment, but, IIRC, it sounds like they're trying to crack down on companies offering antibiotics that are either clearly intended for human use despite being marketed as fish antibiotics, or that are being produced/sold under questionable/legally questionable conditions; regardless it looks like the end goal is to try and aid in preventing antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains:
So, it sounds like you may need to get a vet prescription in the future, but it doesn't sound like it's to that point just yet - big name, reputable brands will likely still be selling these products for a while.

With regards to fish/coral and seeing vets for prescriptions, I'd guess we've got a long ways to go before most vets are willing to properly treat/prescribe for these animals (in part because of how fish are viewed in many societies and in part because the average vet likely doesn't know much about fish/coral disease and treatment), but for those that are willing/able, I'd imagine they'd accept pics/videos/video calls for diagnosis and prescription purposes.
This has been going on since 2017 (I believe) for food animals - and since 2021 for other 'medically necessary antiviotics'. January 2024 is the new deadline. I agree it will to be immediate then - but - it will be soon (which to the government can mean 2 years lol)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There are exotic vets in every large city. If for example - a person had a fish with an ulcer and @Jay Hemdal said I would treat with xxxx - I doubt any veterinarian (at least not the 2 that I spoke with) would have an issue. However, the times of dips, etc - may be coming to be a thing of the past

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just curious as to the phrase “They don’t want you to have free access to these meds for a reason. Perhaps a reason that will become apparent soon.” as it’s the exact same line (word for word) as from the op in the other thread, that is now closed. Almost sounds like code for something.……
1703119178204.gif

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the average canadian reefer's problem...

It definitely makes reef keeping more... interesting ;)

But in all seriousness, antibiotics should rarely be used unless you have confirmation on a bacterial infection... never was a huge fan of people using cipro as a prophylactic.

However if you seriously need it for whatever reason, most exotic vets will be willing to atleast hear you out... if not only for the reason to take your money for your appointment.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a box with all the ingredients for a KFC dip after a go around with BJD last year. A friend of mine began dating a veterinarian. When they were over she was infatuated with my tank and I asked her if she would ever have a problem if I needed her to write me a script if I ever needed one. She said absolutely, so I just need to make sure this relationship works out!

Last edited:

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wonder how we're going to bring our corals in for a check-up
It's not fun. I did that in September. I suspected grey bugs on my acros, had to bring a frag in. I just assumed it would die, it did. I bagged it in water and brought and extra bag of water. The vet looked at it, took it out and couldn't see anything and then took a pipette of water and did the minimal prescription.

OP
OP
Tina22

Tina22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can find the news :
FDA : https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...istributors-unapproved-antimicrobials-animals

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You would use a zoom.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back