Status
Not open for further replies.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beware of the government healthcare complex. A monopoly on prescriptions allows for Veterinarians to pay off their government student loans and keep the cost of treatment healthy.
Actually, the prices on the website quoted are multiples of what a veterinarian would likely charge (for the medication) - I do not know what would be charged for a 'visit' lol. However, with zoom, etc - it would be quite obvious that (in most cases) whether an antibiotic would be needed. (just talked to a friend who is a veterinarian) - one concern without a 'consult' - if a veterinarian prescribed something that wiped out a tank they would be liable.

PS - a zoom visit would be about $50.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PPS, my guess is that a recommendation from one of the fish-medics here would be enough evidence to get an Rx from a vet.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware of the government healthcare complex. A monopoly on prescriptions allows for Veterinarians to pay off their government student loans and keep the cost of treatment healthy.
As a member of "the healthcare complex" I would politely suggest that we are much more restricted by growing 'healthcare conglomerates" and the gigantic "pharmaceutical" businesses whose motivations are based 100% on profit. They now impact what we can and cannot do far more than government regulations because they are always one step ahead.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am 10000000000000% glad for this

several threads called this a few months ago, crack down time was long due
I wanted to 'like' your post - but some of the comments I disagree with. That said - I agree 1000000% with your comment above.

Lets face it - coral get diseases, and those diseases may be treatable with antibiotics. So - I wouldn't call people that use them 'lazy'. That said - I'm not sure that using a sledgehammer (like broad spectrum cipro) makes sense for anemones/coral until and when someone proves that there are no other medications that can treat these illnesses. I would never support someone using an anti fungal go get rid of algae.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly why I pass on all of these "vaccines" an "shots".

You pass on vaccines because bacteria are becoming resistant to antibiotics?

Vaccines do not generally treat or prevent bacteria.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol, NOT.

Fluconazole isn't an antibiotic!
LOL YES - fluconazole is an anti fungal. And it falls under the same regulation as antibiotics. There is a Candida strain killing multiple people - which is pan-resistant to antifungals. So - Sorry - in this case you're incorrect - Sorry:)(

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's not even remotely the same.
Its a good thing that so many people are vaccinated - such that it protects the people to a degree that refuse (for some EDIT - ODD - reason) - to get vaccines

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not even remotely the same.
In the sense of how people do the same thing to themselves, antibiotics/ medicine evertime they get sick(or the flu, or something hurts) to "cure" it rather than letting their immune system/body do its job and get stronger... I can make alot of sense of her comment. Not necessarily about fish med misuse meaning vaccines and shots are bad. Just the over use of it all. I don't take medicine, vaccines or flu shots- and I haven't been sick in 20 something years. But others take antibiotics,etc and are sick several times a year. Doesn't resistance build by widespread overuse?

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second, inappropriate use AND PRODUCTION (is missing) of medically important antimicrobials contributes to the development of antimicrobial resistance, which affects both human and animal health"

Maybe the FDA should first prohibit big pharma to dump their waste products into the next river and produce resistances before they have even packaged their products instead of bugging small consumers like fish keepers? NO? To big of an enemy? Thought so.

Not that I care. Here in the EU we aren't able to aquire antibiotics anyway.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the sense of how people do the same thing to themselves, antibiotics/ medicine evertime they get sick(or the flu, or something hurts) to "cure" it rather than letting their immune system/body do its job and get stronger... I can make alot of sense of her comment. Not necessarily about fish med misuse meaning vaccines and shots are bad. Just the over use of it all. I don't take medicine, vaccines or flu shots- and I haven't been sick in 20 something years. But others take antibiotics,etc and are sick several times a year. Doesn't resistance build by widespread overuse?
I assume you mean antibiotic resistance - ? you're correct. however - If one compares the life expectancy from lets say 1900 to 2023, IMHO - the major reason is not cholesterol control - its treating infections. I.e. antibiotics. And preventing crippling/deadly disease - vaccination. However many people have opinions on this - not wanting to start a war

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe the FDA should first prohibit big pharma to dump their waste products into the next river and produce resistances before they have even packaged their products instead of bugging small consumers like fish keepers? NO? To big of an enemy? Thought so.

Not that I care. Here in the EU we aren't able to aquire antibiotics anyway.
Actually - I think you're partly correct - the US should follow the EU - and not allow misuse of antimicrobials. And - I wasn't aware of this issue of Pharma dumping antibiotics into rivers/

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh??
Vaccines do not cause any type of antibiotic resistance (in fact, the majority of vaccines are against viruses, not bacterial infections; but still, they don't cause resistance to meds.)
Vaccines help the immune system "get stronger".

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh??
Vaccines do not cause any type of antibiotic resistance (in fact, the majority of vaccines are against viruses, not bacterial infections; but still, they don't cause resistance to meds.)
Vaccines help the immune system "get stronger".
I guess I'm grouping different things together.. so vaccines add, whereas antibiotics suppress, right? Supose I was more referring to antibiotics than vaccines. I guess I see them all as a crutch to the immune system. (I may be misinformed). I don't even take headache medicine for the same reason.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm grouping different things together.. so vaccines add, whereas antibiotics suppress, right? Supose I was more referring to antibiotics than vaccines. I guess I see them all as a crutch to the immune system. (I may be misinformed). I don't even take headache medicine for the same reason.
Yeah, I'm not following any of your logic. Would you also not wear glasses if you needed them? I don't understand suffering (in your example, with a headache) needlessly. Taking aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc doesn't affect your immune system.

And no, antibiotics don't "suppress" the immune system, they kill the thing that's making you sick. Immunosuppressants are a whole different type of medication that is necessary for some who have autoimmune diseases, organ transplants, certain cancers, etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm liking your post - because you are lumping different things together - and the underlying content seems to suggest that we(humans) and perhaps aquarists use too many antibiotics. Antibiotics cure disease. Over and over and over. They are not a crutch - UNLESS (to which I think you're referring) people go to their Physician and demand an antibiotic despite no reason therefore. So - let's extend this to reefing. People 'dipping' various things in cipro. IMHO - Ridiculous. Fluconazole - for algae - Ridiculous (this is not an insult to those who do - I personally would not)

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm liking your post - because you are lumping different things together - and the underlying content seems to suggest that we(humans) and perhaps aquarists use too many antibiotics. Antibiotics cure disease. Over and over and over. They are not a crutch - UNLESS (to which I think you're referring) people go to their Physician and demand an antibiotic despite no reason therefore. So - let's extend this to reefing. People 'dipping' various things in cipro. IMHO - Ridiculous. Fluconazole - for algae - Ridiculous (this is not an insult to those who do - I personally would not)
Yea, I guess this is a better way to express my sentiment. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back