Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not following any of your logic. Would you also not wear glasses if you needed them? I don't understand suffering (in your example, with a headache) needlessly. Taking aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc doesn't affect your immune system.

And no, antibiotics don't "suppress" the immune system, they kill the thing that's making you sick. Immunosuppressants are a whole different type of medication that is necessary for some who have autoimmune diseases, organ transplants, certain cancers, etc.
You might be on to something.. I do let my tank suffer through its issues believing that it makes it stronger in the end

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think that the argument "people using antibiotics for their aquarium inhabitants causes antibiotic resistance" (no one in particular made this exact statement), is a non-issue.

The issue is "people having easy access to 'animal' medication to use for themselves (or other humans)", thereby contributing to the misuse and overuse of antibiotics which can have a significant impact on the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria.

IMO, the amount of medication used by the aquarium hobby as a whole is a very small drop in the bucket when it comes to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria, and likely not even a drop when it concerns diseases that affect humans.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like as of the first of the year you will no longer be able to buy fish antibiotics without a prescription. They don’t want you to have free access to these meds for a reason. Perhaps a reason that will become apparent soon

FDA warns Chewy kraft drug and fish antibiotics company​

Yes, they don't want us stocking up for end of the world. Seems like they finally caught on to what many people have been doing for years

Last edited:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not following any of your logic. Would you also not wear glasses if you needed them? I don't understand suffering (in your example, with a headache) needlessly. Taking aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc doesn't affect your immune system.

And no, antibiotics don't "suppress" the immune system, they kill the thing that's making you sick. Immunosuppressants are a whole different type of medication that is necessary for some who have autoimmune diseases, organ transplants, certain cancers, etc.
And yes, many times I should have got stitches but didn't- I let my body suffer through it and heal on its own... you should see how fast I heal... once cut the tip off a finger and refused any medicine. It turned out fine

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be on to something.. I do let my tank suffer through its issues believing that it makes it stronger in the end
And in some ways, this is very true. Because the tank gains a more robust biome by being exposed to the various things that make it "suffer" (kind of like getting a vaccination...)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a focus (I dont know the percent) - of reefers here - put mud in a sump from the Atlantic, though the fish and corals come from the pacific. Feed clams - though clams may not be nutritious for some tank inhabitants. People do what they do - no complaints there. But - I think the key word in your post was 'suffer'. I dont think you mean 'on purpose'. You, in fact may be right - animals in the wild do have to suffer for their food. Its an interesing discussion

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a focus (I dont know the percent) - of reefers here - put mud in a sump from the Atlantic, though the fish and corals come from the pacific. Feed clams - though clams may not be nutritious for some tank inhabitants. People do what they do - no complaints there. But - I think the key word in your post was 'suffer'. I dont think you mean 'on purpose'. You, in fact may be right - animals in the wild do have to suffer for their food. Its an interesing discussion
Maybe it's my ignorance, but I truly believe suffering builds strength. And I practice it on myself. Seems to work even if I don't know why

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm grouping different things together.. so vaccines add, whereas antibiotics suppress, right? Supose I was more referring to antibiotics than vaccines. I guess I see them all as a crutch to the immune system. (I may be misinformed). I don't even take headache medicine for the same reason.
Sometimes crutches are a necessary part of the healing process.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe it's my ignorance, but I truly believe suffering builds strength. And I practice it on myself. Seems to work even if I don't know why
PM me. this would be an interesting discussion

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the FDA should first prohibit big pharma to dump their waste products into the next river and produce resistances before they have even packaged their products instead of bugging small consumers like fish keepers? NO? To big of an enemy? Thought so.

Not that I care. Here in the EU we aren't able to aquire antibiotics anyway.

Wow, that is some heavy conspiracy thinking.

Do you have any evidence that any pharma company dumps antibiotics into rivers? That would be a huge EPA violation.

Antibiotics in rivers comes from consumers peeing them out, or flushing unused pills.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, many times I should have got stitches but didn't- I let my body suffer through it and heal on its own... you should see how fast I heal... once cut the tip off a finger and refused any medicine. It turned out fine
Wow. By the time you are 99, maybe you will be resistant to death itself.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have any evidence that any pharma company dumps antibiotics into rivers? That would be a huge EPA violation.

Antibiotics in rivers comes from consumers peeing them out, or flushing unused pills.
You Got It Win GIF by Sealed With A GIF

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

pharmaceutical companies seem to get a bad rap - some perhaps deserved - overall - IMHO - everyone Is working to help people and humanity. EDIT (and make some profit)

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes crutches are a necessary part of the healing process.
Yea, I guess... if I wore a sling for my arm, when I dislocated my shoulder, maybe it would have healed better...
I'm not asserting that I'm right or anybody is wrong, just sharing my philosophical stance. I know its not perfect

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea, I guess... if I wore a sling for my arm, when I dislocated my shoulder, maybe it would have healed better...
I'm not asserting that I'm right or anybody is wrong, just sharing my philosophical stance. I know its not perfect
This is a good philosophy IMHO, it's only your opinion. All good. however - I might suggest - if you had real 'suffering'. you might think differently. Because I'm sure there are plenty of people on R2R - with significant illness, multiple side effects - much more long-standing than a dislocated shoulder - As @Randy Holmes-Farley has done research - on kidney issues - I can assure you those patients suffer. From personal experience. But - like I said - perhaps more a private conversation

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do find it interesting (although not at all surprising) that this thread was started by a vendor that sells these "fish medications"... trying to drum up last minute business I guess.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. By the time you are 99, maybe you will be resistant to death itself.
Lol. Shh- Don't tell anybody, the fedaralies may lock me in a lab for experimenting.. but seriously, idk, I'd be happy to still have my mind, lungs, heart and mobility by that point. Don't want to live too long just to suffer at the end. So do it now

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do find it interesting (although not at all surprising) that this thread was started by a vendor that sells these "fish medications"... trying to drum up last minute business I guess.
Agreed - stock up immediately!!!. I haven't used an antibiotic in my tanks for perhaps 20 years

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good philosophy IMHO, it's only your opinion. All good. however - I might suggest - if you had real 'suffering'. you might think differently. Because I'm sure there are plenty of people on R2R - with significant illness, multiple side effects - much more long-standing than a dislocated shoulder - As @Randy Holmes-Farley has done research - on kidney issues - I can assure you those patients suffer. From personal experience. But - like I said - perhaps more a private conversation
Yes, agree 100% alot of things don't heal themselves. No discussion there. I am lucky and my "suffering" is a cough in the grand scheme of illnesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back