FDA warns Chewy kraft drug and fish antibiotics company

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishtankantibiotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like as of the first of the year you will no longer be able to buy fish antibiotics without a prescription. They don’t want you to have free access to these meds for a reason. Perhaps a reason that will become apparent soon

FDA warns Chewy kraft drug and fish antibiotics company​

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a reason that will become apparent soon

I think the reason is clearly stated:

"First, these products haven't been through the FDA drug review process, and we don't know whether they're safe or effective, or even contain what the label states," Tracey Forfa, JD, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine, said in a press release. "Second, inappropriate use of medically important antimicrobials contributes to the development of antimicrobial resistance, which affects both human and animal health"

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"More than 1.2 million people – and potentially millions more – died in 2019 as a direct result of antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections, according to the most comprehensive estimate to date of the global impact of antimicrobial resistance (AMR)."

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 10000000000000% glad for this

several threads called this a few months ago, crack down time was long due

now cipro cheaters will have to go natty

and the hobby will benefit, and the cipro abusers have less tools and less knowledge to reef with now for the years they juiced

that rtn is coming and now they have no other means to battle it since they have been cheating

Glad they’re cracking down

cipro push article

Last edited:

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"More than 1.2 million people – and potentially millions more – died in 2019 as a direct result of antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections, according to the most comprehensive estimate to date of the global impact of antimicrobial resistance (AMR)."

Anecdotally working in a hospital system the rise in antibiotic-resistent bacterial infections in hospital settings has gotten much worse in the past few years. A lot of people don't understand that the biggest difference between health outcomes now and health outcomes 500 years ago BY FAR is effective antibiotics. The moment we reach a tipping point on bacterial antibiotic resistance, life will become a lot more complicated and deadly for the average person

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a huge and growing problem, not just from a science perspective, but from an economic one.

When a company develops a novel antibiotic to treat these superbugs, regulators want to protect it from its own resistance by sharply controlling the use. Low use means low profit potential means far fewer companies willing to take the big financial risks required to develop new medications.

I don't have any great answers, but it may require regulators and insurance companies willing to allow a novel antibiotic to be rewarded financially as are life saving rare disease drugs, which might cost a half a million dollars for a treatment.

In the end, society just cannot afford to save everyone from every disease. Harsh as that sounds, it is an economic reality that is going to bite more and more into human psyche in the coming years: we may technically be able to do it, but cannot afford to do it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was searching for requirements to sell products for aquarium use that have prescription things in them, there were some indications on a phone call that some crackdown is coming in a big way for people who do not label their products.

Currently, it is not illegal to sell antibiotics for aquarium use, but they have to be labeled correctly with directions and stuff.

Freshwater treats more than marine, but the marine market uses a lot of cyano cleaners and most are not labled and some even go out their way to claim that they contain no antibiotics when they indeed do. Only one company that I know of admits to using Tylosin, which is a big-time bird antibiotic.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally working in a hospital system the rise in antibiotic-resistent bacterial infections in hospital settings has gotten much worse in the past few years. A lot of people don't understand that the biggest difference between health outcomes now and health outcomes 500 years ago BY FAR is effective antibiotics. The moment we reach a tipping point on bacterial antibiotic resistance, life will become a lot more complicated and deadly for the average person
Exactly why I pass on all of these "vaccines" an "shots".

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - many of those bottles are knowingly sold to humans for human use. I have seen these marketed to segments of people who think that doctors will put tracking devices and stuff in you. The photo in the article above is from a website called Preppers Survive.

OP
OP
fishtankantibiotics

fishtankantibiotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is long overdue. There is a 50+ year history of aquarium antibiotics being diverted to treat people...get sick, just go the the pet store and buy some tetracycline caps. Recently, a fish drug supplier was caught for the second time, selling mislabeled medications imported from China.

Let's look at the reality of antibiotic use in aquariums; virtually all bacteria that cause infections in aquarium animals are part of the normal microbiome. Infection occur then, not because novel bacteria got into your tank, but because something in the animal lowered its ability to fight off the bacteria - a cut in the skin, poor environmental conditions, etc. Even Mycobacterium can be isolated from virtually every aquarium....if you sample carefully enough. Using antibiotics in these cases has very little benefit if the original issue is not resolved.

Jay

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harms from cipro use in the hobby:

-time lost developing internal resistance in corals. Had it never arose in the hobby we’d be better positioned / adapt or die / to handle rtn and stn and bjd without meds. why is it no pico reefers have to dose cipro in order to reef? Is it big tanker problems? Answers exit to reefing without it, but we didn’t want to undertake that effort. We rode the easy train.

weak genetic lines that can’t mount their own defenses to pathogens would be selected out vs selected in, by cheating natural selection

by propping up weaker genetic lines and allowing targets to adapt with indiscriminate use of antibiotics not intended for reefing, all genetic lines in care are at elevated risk.

-shortcut training to reefers, they’re going to stock up we can see. They’re going to find alternate ways to shortcut the right effort that protects the hobby vs creates resistant pathogens…cipro is the crutch they must use in their mind now.

Cipro was reef crack this entire time pushed, I linked a push article above. It lowered the ability for reefers to win via multiple solutions that don’t harm evolution of microbes.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been a long time coming - and - just like any other pet, if it's sick, talk to a veterinarian. The price you would pay for much of this medication would seem to be far less than the prices on the posted website. What it will effectively end is the use of fluconazole etc for treating algae issues - which is also a great idea IMHO. If people think that bacterial resistance to antibiotics is a disaster, fungal resistance has the potential as bad if not yet worse.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say I didn’t see this coming.

Unrelated note, I love how they jacked up their prices. I’ve bought from fishaid before (recently) and the prices were half of what they currently are. Not buying from them any time soon.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like as of the first of the year you will no longer be able to buy fish antibiotics without a prescription. They don’t want you to have free access to these meds for a reason. Perhaps a reason that will become apparent soon

FDA warns Chewy kraft drug and fish antibiotics company​

Beware of the government healthcare complex. A monopoly on prescriptions allows for Veterinarians to pay off their government student loans and keep the cost of treatment healthy.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say I didn’t see this coming.

Unrelated note, I love how they jacked up their prices. I’ve bought from fishaid before (recently) and the prices were half of what they currently are. Not buying from them any time soon.
Stock up now while you still can. The prices are only going up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back