Tale of 2 puffers

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of them are Blue Spotted Puffers. If your fish are shy consider adding a sharp nose puffer or 2. Once acclaimated they'll be like puppies hanging around at the front glass, really help bringing out the shy fish. They are a great "community fish" and would not bother others.

IMG_1334 (2).JPG

My new puffer finished acclaimation and has been in the show tank for 3 days. My normally shy tangs and dwarf angels have become bolder. Never once have they picked on this new guy. A month ago I expected this guy "not" going to make it...............

When I got him he was kind of dull. His belly was somewhat caved in. But since they seldom stock it at my LFS, plus my past experience with this fish, I took a gamble. I had him in a quarantine tank with a bicolor blennie and a moroon clown, where he would "not" eat for over a week( not even brineshrimp). Other fish did fine.

Fearing that he could be sick, I got him out and placed him in a 12 gal. clear Rubbermaid. It has some algae and 2 small Nerite snails and an air stone. Very old water and NO filter. It sits in the garage right when there was a "hot spell" and the water got over 85 deg. F during the day for a few days.

I threw him some pellets sometimes and he showed little interest. He did not pay any attention to the snails. Then after almost a week in the garage I caught him taking a bite here and there. I started to offer brineshrimp and mysis and he started to accept them( still would not eat flakes). One week later I finally got him to eat almost anything. I put him back with the blennie and clown. His belly went back to normal. Great!

*********************************************************************************************
Now back to my first Blue Spotted Puffer years ago.................he was "very easy": took any food within a day or 2. I had him for about 9 months in a 60 gal. tank where he was healthy and not harassed by the other fish at all.

One day my 11 year old niece came to visit. She actually had seen my tank a few times so I did not have to supervise, knowing she would not mess with it. 5 minutes later she came yelling," Uncle! Uncle come look at your puffer fish!"

I found him laying on his side, hardly moving! She confessed she had "pressed her face" on the front glass( where the puffer was?) 2-3 minutes later the fish was dead! I have no explanation beside that he had a heart attack. Maybe my niece was an ugly duckling? Haha! Poor girl was upset for 2 weeks.

*********************************************************************************************

Now she's got a new job and moved out of town, I felt it should be OK to get a new one, lol! But OK, no one is allowed to put his/her face within a foot of my tank!!!!!!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good story, with a sad ending. I know inflating is not good for them, but that seems to be sudden.

I love my guy. He is super colorful and when I come to feed (or just near the tank), he comes up front, puffs his chest out a bit, flares his fins and looks at me. he is like a puppy. He does love the nori strips and any food I add. Eats from hand too. Great fish.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good story, with a sad ending. I know inflating is not good for them, but that seems to be sudden.

I love my guy. He is super colorful and when I come to feed (or just near the tank), he comes up front, puffs his chest out a bit, flares his fins and looks at me. he is like a puppy. He does love the nori strips and any food I add. Eats from hand too. Great fish.

Yes! Lately I have to put out extra veggies for my other fish because this new guy, who would "not" eat anything for 10 days, has been sharing with the tangs and dwarf angels too. I plan to add a White Spotted Sharpnose puffer soon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back