Tampa Area Reefers

irupp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140520_141318.jpg

Thank you I will be posting the pics from my build but this is how my box of water sits now.

The entire thing is handbuild from the stand and canopy to the tank and sump itself. My friend ryan did all the acrylic work. I did the woodwork and finish work as well as the DIY led setup.

Im glad to be here!

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Nice to see another reefer from NPR. Really nice set up. I am A transmission builder and can fix anything but to take wood and glass and make it look nice lick that. Not going to happen!!! I am putting togather a 275g tank. I am building the stand but going to have a buddy of mine skin it and finish it. I wish I could do wood working just never seems to come out nice.

irupp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sirreal we may need to talk lol I race a 89 mustang. The car makes good power but the c4 in it always needs freshened up.

worleyxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm in the Lutz area near and I'm new to reefing. Just set up my first tank a month ago after doing freshwater for a few years. I have a fire shrimp and a black ocellaris. It's a 24 gallon Aquapod with 34lbs of LR and about 12lbs LS. Looking for some local people to talk with about the hobby and get an unbiased option from people other than those selling me stuff at a LFS. Let me know!

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Irupp33 It was nice to meet you last night and hope the frags do well for you. When you need that trans fixed let me know.
Welcome Worleyxxx. What do you need an opinion on ? Happy to help and though I do sell a few frags here and there. Very little selling and more trading. Been in the salt water hobby for about 15 years so I might be able to help

worleyxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nothing in particular right now, just seems that anytime I go into a store and have questions they're always just trying to get a sale. I'm starting reefing for the first time and am a month into my first tank. My cycle happened in a week (no joke) and diatoms came and went in the second week. In the third and I currently have coralline starting to bloom. When would be ok to add a soft coral of some kind? The LFS I went to today didn't have much to choose from.

irupp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brant the frags are doing great. Ill have pic up eventually when I get another day off from work.

Chetrod theres actually alot over there in wesley chapel.

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chetrod. Yes there are prob 30 or more reefers I know in the wesley chapel erea.
Irupp33 Glad to hear it. Post them up.
Worleyxxx, Ok so you have been up running for 1 month. I would like some more info. Do you have a clean up crew? what are your parameters. Make sure you post N03 and phos. Size of tank? lighting? skimmer? are you running a reactor? Just everything that your doing and have. I know its a pain in the butt to do it but it all makes a difference. What do you want for an end result. "Mixed LPS, SPS ect" what fish do you want? what do you have for flow. All of this makes a difference. As far as coral and softies. "not trying to sell you" I have tons of softies and I will be cheaper then any LFS plus Mine dont come with pests "accept Astreana stars" and I am working on that. I have a harliquin shrimp cleaning them all up. I know you see coraline and think its ready but it can grow in pretty bad conditions. Your water parameters are what you go by.

worleyxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chetrod. Yes there are prob 30 or more reefers I know in the wesley chapel erea.
Irupp33 Glad to hear it. Post them up.
Worleyxxx, Ok so you have been up running for 1 month. I would like some more info. Do you have a clean up crew? what are your parameters. Make sure you post N03 and phos. Size of tank? lighting? skimmer? are you running a reactor? Just everything that your doing and have. I know its a pain in the butt to do it but it all makes a difference. What do you want for an end result. "Mixed LPS, SPS ect" what fish do you want? what do you have for flow. All of this makes a difference. As far as coral and softies. "not trying to sell you" I have tons of softies and I will be cheaper then any LFS plus Mine dont come with pests "accept Astreana stars" and I am working on that. I have a harliquin shrimp cleaning them all up. I know you see coraline and think its ready but it can grow in pretty bad conditions. Your water parameters are what you go by.

It's a 24 gallon Aquapod. My NO3 is between .0ppm and .5ppm. My phos is at 0ppm. PH is around an 8.4 and salinity is around a 1.023 (it was a bit lower after my last water change) I have a maxijet1200 (1300gph) with about 18 inches of head pressure. Not running any power heads as I would seem like over kill, I have flow all throughout the tank. For clean up I have 4 turbos and an Astraea, a red reef hermit, and a fire shrimp. The only other fish in my tank are a small black ocellaris and a sand sifting star. For lighting in using a Current USA marine/reef led. No skimmer right now just running surface skimming through a purechem and some filter floss. Anything I forgot to mention let me know...will be home around 1-2 today and can try to rattle off anything else.

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thats perfect. So what are you looking to do with this tank? whats your vision?

worleyxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to start small and keep it that way. 2 clowns and a fire shrimp for fish (aside cleanup) and a few softies for color and in hope the clowns may host to them. I picking up this little zoa today from a place called Ocean Prime Corals in Brooksville. New customers get a free $5 frag so I figured that was a good way to get my feet wet them them :)
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1401402013.988509.jpg

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Ocen prime has some nice stuff. Can be a little pricey but they do have nice stuff. I have those It hink. are they blue with kind of yellow lashes.

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super nice BTA. I wish I could have one. I have 3 carpets. At Reefapaloza I saw so many different colored. Not 5 years ago there were just 2 Green and red

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I'm from Weeki Wachee and would love to get something started around this area. I have a 210 sps dominated DT. I have a few high end frags if anyone is getting into sps or wants to trade as well as some zoas/lps that I'll give away. Just got back from visiting Sirreal as well :). If anyone needs advice or help just let me know. I'm also always on the look out for high end sps.

worleyxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys if anyone is interested I'm about to list a 56gal cube(ish) aquarium with a glass canopy and stand on Craigslist. I used it for cichlids but it could be a nice saltwater tank. It has a canister filter, gravel and a single fluorescent light. I'm hoping to get $300 OBO if anyone here is interested in it.

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I'm from Weeki Wachee and would love to get something started around this area. I have a 210 sps dominated DT. I have a few high end frags if anyone is getting into sps or wants to trade as well as some zoas/lps that I'll give away. Just got back from visiting Sirreal as well :). If anyone needs advice or help just let me know. I'm also always on the look out for high end sps.

I'm in Wesley chapel not to far away. We will have meet up someday.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back