Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and pulling it off via mail is doubly impressive

one of the most fundamental claims in our hobby if we check the posts going back two decades is that all rock has to cycle when moved, nope. some people have a thriving business meeting that skip cycle need. iphones please us fast, and so can live rock. I have never cycled a reef tank due to this option of opting out, and still growing coral. others want more control over hitchhikers, to each their own.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct.....all the airlines have a 100 pound minimum shipping charge.....which means you can ship one pound or 100 pounds for the same charge...about $90 for the freight...and is usually same day service...I pack it in the morning...you pick it up after work. And for shipping estimate...double the size of your rock order to allow for the water weight which is covering the rock IE: 50 pounds of rock...will weigh about 100 pounds with the water on it....and packed with pure oxygen ....

Richard TBS
Thanks for the reply richard! If I ever need a larger purchase of rock in the future (and I know I will) TBS definitely be where it comes from. I love the plug and play ability of it. The problem with starting with dry rock is I miss all of the discovery of critters.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

For a reminder that cured rocks are capable of amazing things.

This is a beneficial rule breakers thread. the rules set by 99.9% of cycling threads we can read online and would use to cycle every form of rock don't apply here, so bump to TBS. I haven't even ordered from you this is based on bio evaluation

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 35 pounds of this in January when I built my 54 corner. I put 35-40 pds of wet rock from petco in the day prior. Added the tbs rock the next evening as soon as it came in. The rock is truly live. Every hitchhiker survived which amazed me as there's really no way to acclimate anything as it comes in pretty cold. Best guess would be the temp in the boxes was 55-60 degrees tops. Next day there was no spike so I acclimated and transferred my live stock from 20 gallon with no issues. I got a couple undesirable snails and a shrimp that I'm still trying to get out but would do it again for the cool hitchhikers I got. Richards live rock is awesome.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been so helpful in skip cycle threads I had to have a 2017 bumps.

We can bring home live rock cured in a pet store purple live rock vat and set it in our tanks without adding a dead shrimp to rot because Tampa Bay live rock can mail their rock all over the US and not lose bacteria.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 720 with about 75 lbs of TB rock and 75lbs or so of the sand. I mixed it with dry rock and the sponges and coralline have spread. I do have a large crab who started as a baby. Love him but am scared he'll attack others eventually

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 720 with about 75 lbs of TB rock and 75lbs or so of the sand. I mixed it with dry rock and the sponges and coralline have spread. I do have a large crab who started as a baby. Love him but am scared he'll attack others eventually
Got any pics of the crab? I've got a good sized red mithix crab that came in that I put in my HOB refugium. Also a gorilla crab. I've got another gorilla crab in my display that I need to get out one of these days. Still pretty small, about dime size.

Subbedout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live only ~2 hours from Tampa Bay. Does anyone know if TBS will allow me to pick up my order in person from them instead of having it flown to me? Thanks in advance!

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to their website page and get their number and call them. I'm sure they will hook you up.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn't such a pain to obtain this rock, I would love to give it a go. In Canada though and too far from a US airport plus don't want to fuss with the border. Just cannot get nice quality live rock in Canada anymore.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back