Tamron 90mm F/2.8...

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for all of you photography gurus....

I found a Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro 1:1 lens with a Canon mount for sale locally and it was cheap. The only problem is, it's not the Di version, so it's made for film cameras. I know that there is a 1.6x focal length multiplier by using film SLR lenses on DSLRs, but would the quality be effected at all? Would the sharpness or bokeh be effected? Will it impact my minimal focusing distance or have problems with the AF (I usually manual focus, but AF would be nice for moving subjects)? And last but not least... does anyone know if I'd need an adapter to mount it on a Canon XS body, or would it fit properly out of the box?

Last edited:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quality won't be affected, in fact, it will likely be better than with a film camera since you are using only the middle of the glass. Sharpness and bokeh won't be affect. Not sure about focusing distance, but I don't think that will be affected either. AF may depend on your camera body. I shoot Nikon, so I can't tell you for sure.

CJ

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks CJ! Do you know if I'll need an adapter? I tried to contact Tamron, but haven't heard back from them.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ +1

Minimum focus distance is a property of the lens, so it's independent of the camera body behind it.

You need to find out what mount this lens is if you haven't yet. It needs to be Canon's EF mount or else you need an adapter. On that note, it's possible that this lens is a Tamron "adaptall" lens, which is a little different. Those lenses are full manual and are supposed to be used with an adapter.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help cparka! It doesn't specify the mount type, but I emailed the guy selling it to find out. Do you know if the adapters are readily available at a place like B&H?

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw them on Amazon for $25-30. Not bad for photo gear, right?

Tamron doesn't make adaptall lenses anymore, so those adapters might not be available everywhere. B&H online doesn't seem to have it anymore, which doesn't surprise me. At least there's Amazon though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back