Tang aggression dilemma, need a plan of attack.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I got a CBB on Saturday to hopefully help with an Aiptasia explosion. I have bird wrasses, so Berghias are out of the question for this system. I have an established chocolate tang in this tank that has never bothered my other additions, including the aforementioned bird wrasses (same color scheme) or my redtail trigger (similar color/same shape), but has it out for this new butterfly. Every day I let the butterfly out of the acclimation box, it explores about 15 minutes before the tang finds it and it returns to the box. The tang doesn't notice the CBB through the acclimation box, only when it's out.
I am very lucky that the CBB has eaten prepared foods for me, so it won't starve or anything, but it won't do anything for the Aiptasia in a box. The tang is far too fast to catch, even at night.

Has anyone had the same problem? I hate to see the CBB hovering in the corner while the tang bullies it all day. Should I let them duke it out? I could add a new tang to distract the resident bully, but then I'd just have another stressed fish. Any input greatly appreciated. Have a great day & God bless.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tips! It seems that adding another tang to balance aggression will be my best bet in the case I can't trap him.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tips! It seems that adding another tang to balance aggression will be my best bet in the case I can't trap him.
I wouldn’t personally, adding another tang could balance aggression but at the same time it could make it worse.

Your best bet is removing the tang or the CBB.

Pamperedfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple and yellow tang would be aggressive to each other. When I got a powder brown, 1/2 the size of the Hawaiian tangs, the Hawaiian tangs became friends. When I sold the powder br. The Hawaiian tangs helped boot the brown, took 3 hours, but was great to see.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taping a mirror to the tank would be my first move.

If that doesn’t help I would try to move the chocolate tang into the acclimation box for a few days.

I certainly wouldn’t run out and throw in another tang just yet because that could cause more problems than it could solve.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good points so far.
The mirror trick didn't work, neither did taping up an image of a fired up chocolate tang. I'm going to make a diy fish trap and remove the tang next week. I'm still able to feed the CBB while it's inside the box, so I don't have a huge time limit, but I hate to keep it in there for much longer.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a CBB a while back and I had the same issue. I kept it in an acclimation box for a few days but no one in the tank seemed to care at all. After releasing the Cbb, my purple tang decided to be #1 jerk. I tried the mirror thing and it helped… but now every fish including the new Cbb was a jerk to its own reflection. I left the mirror in place for at least 24 hrs.

Finally I decided fish are going to have to figure it out… they did after about 2 weeks. Very minimal aggression unless they got too close to each other. After even more time, they now live in harmony. It just took time.

Also for what it’s worth. My Cbb wouldn’t touch aiptaisa…. Till one day recently I noticed the hard for me to reach aiptaisa were gone. The tank has been aiptaisa free since. Good luck!
IMG_8571.jpeg

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Every fish in the tank has loved looking in the mirror besides the tang, who avoids it like the plague lol.
The CBB is perfectly fine for about ten minutes when I release it, but after that the tang corners it and doesn't let it move. The tang has actually sustained more damage from the CBB's spines then the CBB has from the tang lol

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Every fish in the tank has loved looking in the mirror besides the tang, who avoids it like the plague lol.
The CBB is perfectly fine for about ten minutes when I release it, but after that the tang corners it and doesn't let it move. The tang has actually sustained more damage from the CBB's spines then the CBB has from the tang lol
My personal opinion is that all animals are going to establish a pecking order and I’m not wanting to let any of them get beat to death, but I do feel for the most part that they will figure it out.
I hate to see it though. It can sometimes look pretty brutal and my situation with my Cbb was no different in the sense I was pretty worried for it. My fish never caused injuries to each other though.

jbhydroman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What worked for me was I placed my Sailfin tang in a mesh breeder box and rearranged the rock work, then let the tang into the tank, no problems as of now. The tang leaves my CBB alone. The tang used to bully the CBB a lot. Ever since I rearranged the rock no more aggression. It thinks it's in a new tank.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could re arrange the rocks I would, but most of them are cemented together and the ones not cemented have corals growing on them. I'm going to try and trap the tang for now and let the CBB establish it's own territory.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back